Hybrid View

Default Do I Need To Give 30 Days Notice If I'm Not Month-To-Month?

I'm moving out of my Los Angeles, CA apartment at the end of this month and informed my landlord of this on June 17. The lease that I signed runs through June 30, and thereafter becomes month-to-month, so I thought there wouldn't be a problem. But he said he requires 30 days notice and wants me to pay rent through July 17.

I thought that 30 days notice was only required of month-to-month tenants. Do I have to pay rent for part of July even though my original lease only runs through June? I never indicated to my landlord that I would be extending the lease beyond the original 12 month period.

Is it presumed I would be extending my lease on a month-to-month basis beyond June unless I tell my landlord otherwise? And do I have to tell him 30 days in advance? Thanks!

Default Re: Do I Need To Give 30 Days Notice If I'm Not Month-To-Month?

It's going to depend on the language of your lease, which I haven't seen. I would not be surprised if your landlord is correct.

Thanks for the response. Here's the language:

1.TERMS: Resident agrees to pay in advance $1595 per month on the 1st of each month. This agreement shall commence on July 1st, 2006 and continue: (check one)

A. until June 30th, 2007 as a leasehold. Thereafter it shall become a month-to-month tenancy. If resident should move from the premises prior to the expiration of this time period, he shall be liable for all rent due until such time that the apartment is occupied by an owner approved paying resident and/or expiration of said time period, whichever period is shorter.

B. on a month-to-month tenancy until either party shall terminate this agreement by giving a written notice of intention to terminate at least 30 days prior to the date of termination.

It's certainly not the best contract language I've read, and I could make an argument either way, but I think that language supports your landlord's interpretation. (But note, I don't practice in California, so I'm not going to make a definitive interpretation of a California legal document.)

1. Sponsored Links