Default Bought A Car, But Seller Won't Give It To Me

Hi,
    I bought a used car from the owner about a month ago. I have already paid, have done ownership transfer, and I have title with my name on it. But for a couple of reasons, I did not get the car upon ownership transfer and previous owner still keeps the car.
    Now I want to get the car to my garage, but the problem is the previous owner does not repond my phone call and email.

I know I should talk to lawyers, but I'd like to have some suggestion on course of action I should take.

I'm in CA.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Bought A Car, But Seller Won't Give It To Me

Possible options include: You could check to see if the police will help you, although they may tell you that it's a "civil matter". You can go to small claims court.

That's auto theft. California Vehicle Code 10851. File a report with CHP. Demand that they go with you to retrieve your car. If/when they refuse, go to the DA's office, file against the cop(s) and the car thief. Take it to DOJ if you have to. Also, take it to the local news stations...many have consumer advocates and would love to put something like that on the air.....especially if you get some lazy donut eating cop who blows you off.

mr shogun, first, you need to realize this post is over 5 months old and the OP has never posted beyond their original post.

2nd, the response from Aaron is about as good as one gets. He does this for a living (the laywering thing)

3rd it is not theft per se since the OP allowed the seller to retain possession for some reason. Since OP allowed the seller to retain possession, until the seller is notified the buyer wants the car in their possession, he is not doing anything illegal. Yes, I know, there are phone calls and e-mails but is there proof the seller has recieved them?

This reminds me of a situation a long time ago when I worked for a motorcycle dealer. They let a guy go for a test drive. The guy did not return. When the cops were called they informed the dealer that there was nothing they could do since the dealership let the guy take the bike. Unless there was some sort of time or distance agreement, the guy could keep the bike as long as he could not be contacted. The police said they would pull him over if seen and tell him the dealership wanted the bike back but until the guy was actually notified, there was little they could do.

1. Sponsored Links