Default Separation of Church and State

State: Oregon

At a recent talent show at a local high school there were many religious references. This included somebody dedicating a song to God, two people singing songs in which would be deemed as "Christian Rock" and/or "Gospel", and then one song saying "God" (which is censored on the public radio).

My question is whether or not this is deemed legal under status quo legislation in ANY state? I know there have been incidents where they have prohibited praying at graduation ceremonies or saying "god bless you", etc. I would like to compile a list of court cases (especially anything out of Oregon) to submit to the superintendent and principal of the high school.

Default Re: Seperation of Church and State

I wish to add that I recall reading somewhere that if the school edits or censors material, then they are reliable for the content. As there was a rehersal for the talent show, the administration was fully aware of the content in which was going to be taking place on the next night and therefore had the ability to prevent it. (Hell, they were present at the try-outs and had the right to deny them based upon inappropraite material, if somebody was singing rap which swore they sure as hell wouldn't let them in the talent show)

Default Re: Seperation of Church and State

so long as the school wasn't obligating you to pray or agree with what they are saying, it's fine. to not allow someone to sing a song simply because it says "god" or to not be able to dedicate the song to whomever they wish, would be a flagrant violation of the individuals first amendment rights to free speech.

if you didn't like the content of the talent show, you were free to leave.

Default Re: Separation of Church and State

I appreciate your opinion, however thats not what I am looking for. I am looking for court cases which show that the conduct in other states has been deemed illegal.

You're saying they have the right to preach in public, but the school wouldn't permit swearing etc. in their music whats the difference between their religious preaching? One is freedom of speech, one is freedom and speech and religion. Why do I have the right to preach, but not the right to swear? Why can the school censor me one way, but why don't they the other way when it is not politically correct to not say God, as they censor it on the radio and TV?

You're looking for cases which state that legal conduct is illegal? Even if you find some, what good will the be given that they would have been overruled by subsequent case law?

the school can't tell you that you can't pray and they can't tell you that you must pray. you can if you choose, no one can make you.

the case law you're looking for, even if it once existed, would no longer be good law as it would have been overturned.

what they did is not illegal.

I laugh at neither of you reading my posts very clearly.

I am not asking for opposition, nor am I asking whether or not them permitting the religious content at the talent show is legal or not. I am asking you for COURT CASES where it was ruled that the school was not permitted to host religious content, to any degree.

I did a term paper on Seperation of Church and State and there was an entire database of court cases online, but I cannot seem to find it again. There were court cases where the courts deemed that it was unlawful for the school to permit religious content or to promote religion to any degree. There were also court cases in which it was deemed that praying during a commencement ceremony in that certain state was deemed illegal. There was also a large court case where it was prohibited by law to say "God bless you" during a commencement ceremony. I would like assistance finding the titles of these court cases.. not you to come here and flame me.

1. Sponsored Links