Default Bio-Dad Won't Sign Off On Rights In Michigan

My stepson is ten years old and has been calling me dad since he was four. My wife and I have been married for four years, and have a three year old son with one more on the way.

Long story short: Biological father has not had visitation in almost six years.
    Is not currently paying child support, and has only paid support when threatened with jail time. Violating court ordered reintegration process by not going to counseling, and not reembursing us for taking child to counseling. Attempting contact with child. Verbally abusive to my wife, and myself, on multiple ocassions.

Comes down to this: This guy has never been apart of my son's life unless forced to do so. He will not sign off his rights, in his words "So he can ruin my wifes life". Now I thought the courts were supposed to do what is right for the child, and my family, but we have been in court dozens of times (most of which he does'nt show up) and they always give him another chance. I have lost faith in our court system.

I will be seeking counsel in the next few weeks, but wanted to hear advice from others in similiar situation.

Default Re: Bio-Dad Won't Sign Off On Rights In Michigan

Quote Quoting TysDad
    View Post
    My stepson is ten years old and has been calling me dad since he was four. My wife and I have been married for four years, and have a three year old son with one more on the way.

Long story short: Biological father has not had visitation in almost six years.
    Is not currently paying child support, and has only paid support when threatened with jail time. Violating court ordered reintegration process by not going to counseling, and not reembursing us for taking child to counseling. Attempting contact with child. Verbally abusive to my wife, and myself, on multiple ocassions.

Comes down to this: This guy has never been apart of my son's life unless forced to do so. He will not sign off his rights, in his words "So he can ruin my wifes life". Now I thought the courts were supposed to do what is right for the child, and my family, but we have been in court dozens of times (most of which he does'nt show up) and they always give him another chance. I have lost faith in our court system.

I will be seeking counsel in the next few weeks, but wanted to hear advice from others in similiar situation.
    What county are you in?

Kent county, but we have moved to Kalamazoo county for the past four years. When we are in court it is Kent county.

Grounds for involuntary termination of parental rights in Michigan are described in MCL 712A.19b.

Thanks Aaron. If you think of any more links that may be helpful please pass them along. Thanks again.

1. Sponsored Links