Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Emancipation Orders, Out-Of-State

    I am the guardian of a 161/2 year old girl originally from Florida. Her mother gave her willingly up to me and my wife. We went through the MA court and have full legal guardianship until the age of 18. She has lived with us for a year.

    Her family is having problems in Florida. Her mother has issues (which is why this girl moved in with us). She has a younger brother and an older sister. She feels that she has to go back to Florida to help her siblings but wants her mother to have no control or say in her life.

    I have 2 questions. If she becomes emancipated in Massachusetts (with our help and consent as guardians) will the State of Florida recognize it if she moves back there? If she just goes back to Florida can she go through the process there since her mother has already legally consented to give her up.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Re: transfer emancipation

    Florida should recognize an out-of-state emancipation order. It would be difficult for her to emancipate in Florida as she would have to first establish domicile, and then would need to establish that you, as her guardians, were authorized to grant her permission to emancipate. A court would no doubt be very curious as to why the guardians let their ward move, unsupervised, to another state and live there for months before initiating an emancipation petition.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. How Do I Transfer Custody Orders from One State to Another
    By unknown1 in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-28-2010, 04:11 PM
  2. Obstruction of Justice: Pennsylvania Out of State Misdemeanor Charges and Fingerprint Orders
    By DrDebacle in forum Criminal Charges
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-17-2009, 08:39 PM
  3. California Out Of State Custody Orders
    By socal92392 in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-18-2008, 03:51 PM
  4. Statute of Limitations for Support Orders in Washington State
    By Mermaid3193 in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-07-2007, 10:28 PM
  5. Emancipation: Emancipation from one state to another
    By Urbanmyth in forum Juvenile Law
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-26-2005, 10:09 AM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources