Default Getting Access to My Property

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting on here. Iíve read the forums in the past and found some great advice, so hereís hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction.

Iím looking at a piece of property in PA to buy and build on. Itís a really great piece of property, has a nice creek on it, tons of space, some woods, and itís cheap! Almost too good to be true!... and it is. It has an issue with access.

Many years ago, access was not an issue. You could easily turn off the main road and access the property. But a while back, they rebuilt the bridge on the main road that goes over the creek. When they did that, they put Jersey barriers and metal guard rail in. That completely blocks off the property from access. To see the land, you have to park down the road and walk. There is literally no where to drive on from the main road.

The real estate agent who is listing it told me the owner is listing it cheap because he looked into getting it access a while back by getting some of the guard rail removed, but said it was an incredibly expensive process, and one that required a real estate attorney. So, he never did it, and decided to sell.

I like this piece of land and would like to build on it. Where Iím at currently I could afford to do this. However, if there is some major expense involved with the access, that is going to be tough for me.

But I canít believe removing some guard rail would require a real estate attorney. I would think it is something I could get done by going to the township or the state. Quite honestly though, Iím lost. I donít know the first step to take in doing this.

Does anyone have any advice on what you think I should do, and if I need a real estate attorney? And do you think Iíll have some major money just in getting access? I am waiting to pull the trigger until I know I can do this. I donít want to jump in only to find out I have to put most of my money into access, or even find out I canít get access, which would be hard for me to believe.

Any tips are appreciated!
    Thanks!!!

Jay Glaus

Default Re: Getting Access to My Property

Quote Quoting GreatJay23
    View Post
    Many years ago, access was not an issue. You could easily turn off the main road and access the property. But a while back, they rebuilt the bridge on the main road that goes over the creek. When they did that, they put Jersey barriers and metal guard rail in. That completely blocks off the property from access. To see the land, you have to park down the road and walk. There is literally no where to drive on from the main road.
    Property that cannot be accessed is not in the public interest. You must find out why access was cut off the main road when the bridge was rebuilt.

I have no doubt that access can be restored either by having access restored through the guardrail or Jersey barriers or through a neighboring property. All this depends on the complete history which we don't have.

I suspect that why it will be expensive to access now is either legal fees or construction. Whether or not you would be responsible to pay for reconstruction of barriers is probably a matter of law and why it happened the way it did.

Do the research, find the deeds and specifications for the bridge rebuild then take what you find to a land use attorney for a consult.

Quote Quoting GreatJay23
    View Post

Does anyone have any advice on what you think I should do,
    First step, before an attorney, would be to visit the township offices and find somebody who can tell you what it would take to get access. Make sure you get chapter and verse on paper. Never rely only on what you are told by a bureaucrat.

If it seems feasible and economical, talk to an attorney and make your purchase contract contingent on getting the access. There's no reason you can't have a 60 or 90 day escrow while that's being handled.

Quote Quoting GreatJay23
    View Post
    The real estate agent who is listing it told me the owner is listing it cheap because he looked into getting it access a while back by getting some of the guard rail removed, but said it was an incredibly expensive process, and one that required a real estate attorney. So, he never did it, and decided to sell.
    Has the owner given you the documentation he found when he did his investigation?

1. Sponsored Links