Default Tenant Possession

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Maryland

The tenants in one of my rentals were on a month to month lease. I advised them the lease would end and served them a lease termination notice (30 day notice). At the end of the 30 days, they claimed they were having difficulty finding a new place and asked for a week extension. It was granted. While they did move out, they have not finished moving their possessions and have not given a time frame when their possessions would be gone. They have not offered, nor have we asked for any rent during the period after the termination date of the lease.
    My question is, in Maryland, is this now abandoned property, and what are my limitations in moving/disposing of these items? They have left obvious junk like tires, broken yard furniture and the like, and there is a bunch of auto service items (chemicals) jacks, tool box etc in the garage, and household items (lamps, small end tables, boxes of clothes) in the house. There is no furniture, no chairs, beds, dressers and the like.

While I am starting court eviction process, I really don't have to evict them, they are already gone, do I need to evict their stuff as well?

Thanks,

Default Re: Tenant Possession

The Maryland landlord tenant statute says little on the subject of tenant's abandoned property. See 8-208(6):

https://law.justia.com/codes/marylan...-2/sect-8-208/

However, the Maryland Court of Appeals in Nickens v. Mount Vernon Realty (2012) provides a history of self-help repossession in Maryland and allows for disposal of a tenant's abandoned property in a reasonable manner.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_c...en&as_sdt=4,21

"Despite the Parkses' and MVRG's threats that they would repossess the house, the record as developed to that point, revealed no evidence as to whether, prior or subsequent to the repossession, they alerted Nickens as to when or how they would dispose of his property, whether he would have an opportunity to collect his property later, or for how long they or someone might hold his property."

That paragraph suggests that it would be a good idea (for self preservation) to send written notice to the tenant giving a deadline date to remove the items after which you will dispose of the items, either by sale, donation, or trash, and any proceeds from sale will be applied to unpaid rent and/or the cost of disposal. Photograph the items and do not keep any items for yourself.

1. Sponsored Links