My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Washington

Lent a person some money, they gave me a signed title to hold as collateral. They haven't paid, and i cannot find the title for anything! There is written communication of the debt, and him signing the title over to me. Would i be able to take possession of the vehicle based on those records if i can't find the title?