Default Puppy Mill - Sick Puppy

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Maryland CECIL COUNTY

My daughter purchased a puppy from a private seller. The seller presented documentation that the puppy had all of its vaccines.

It turns out the puppy has Parvo and has been in a Veterinarian hospital for about 5 days with bills mounting to over $2,500.00

My daughter paid $250 for the puppy.

What recourse do we have?

The seller is not returning calls or text message.

Default Re: Puppy Mill - Sick Puppy

How old is your daughter?

What if any guarantee was provided when the dog was purchased?

The Parvo vaccine, like most vaccines in both humans and animals, is not 100% effective.

Quote Quoting david@keelan.com
    View Post
    What recourse do we have?
    "We"? You told us that "[your] daughter purchased [the] puppy," so what would make you think you might have any recourse for anything? Is your daughter a minor?

As for your daughter, it's not clear whether she suffered any legal wrong. You wrote that "[t]he seller presented documentation that the puppy had all of its vaccines." Is there any evidence that this documentation was false or fabricated? Did the seller give her any sort of warranty that the dog would be free from disease? If so, what were the exact words of the warranty?

I'm also going to point out that the law regards pets as property, and it may be difficult or impossible to justify spending $2,500 to "repair" a piece of property that only cost $250.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post

I'm also going to point out that the law regards pets as property, and it may be difficult or impossible to justify spending $2,500 to "repair" a piece of property that only cost $250.
    What would you have done upon finding out the puppy had Parvo if this was your daughter's puppy? Would you put the puppy down (cost more than $250) or just take it home and let it suffer until it died?

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    "We"? You told us that "[your] daughter purchased [the] puppy," so what would make you think you might have any recourse for anything? Is your daughter a minor?

As for your daughter, it's not clear whether she suffered any legal wrong. You wrote that "[t]he seller presented documentation that the puppy had all of its vaccines." Is there any evidence that this documentation was false or fabricated? Did the seller give her any sort of warranty that the dog would be free from disease? If so, what were the exact words of the warranty?

A dog is nothing more than a piece of property like a toaster oven? WHAT? "Impossible to justify" spending any more to save its life than what was initially paid to purchase the dog? What do you have for a heart pg1067, a block of ice?

I'll be shocked if the OP comes back...after you guys had your fun with him.

OP, if you do come back, don't be worried about parvovirus. I got a two month old dog a few years ago that contracted parvovirus after only two weeks of having it. We caught it soon enough to save her life. After three days of IV's and about $1,000, she came back perfectly ok and has been the best dog ever.

1. Sponsored Links