Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Signed the Contract. Now the Company is Ignoring Me

My question involves independent contractors in the state of: Colorado.

In June I signed an independent contracting agreement to teach music lessons. The company's CFO signed on their behalf. There was a brief follow-up conversation a few weeks later when I texted the CFO to check on the status of all the other paperwork (background check authorization, tax forms, etc.). Since then I have heard nothing from them. They haven't added me to their teacher list or done anything else to move things along. I sent another email to the CFO in August to see what was happening but she didn't respond. The company is still posting job ads and adding new teachers to their website, so I know they haven't gone out of business. The contract automatically renews every year unless one of us terminates it. Has the company already implicitly terminated it by not proceeding with the business relationship? If not, is there any reason I should not terminate it myself?

Default Re: Signed the Contract. Now the Company is Ignoring Me

Is this one of those sites where you teach online and get paid by the hour?

I was supposed to teach in the students' homes, paid hourly. The company handles all the advertising and billing and I just do the teaching part.

How long ago did you sign up?

And, importantly, how long has this company been in business? If you don't know, you can do some google research for their corp HQ and then that state's business records.

We signed the contract in mid-June. The company registered as an LLC in December of 2017. One owner lives in Arizona, where they registered. The other (the CFO) lives in the same city in Colorado as I do.

We signed the contract in mid-June.
    I dunno. Lots of businesses have slowed or stopped due to Covid19. It's also possible that potential students aren't signing up due to social distancing. In other words they don't want strangers in the house.

The other (the CFO) lives in the same city in Colorado as I do.
    Go knock on his door.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    I dunno. Lots of businesses have slowed or stopped due to Covid19. It's also possible that potential students aren't signing up due to social distancing. In other words they don't want strangers in the house.
    They've hired other teachers since me and added them to their website. They're advertising to hire more. I see a new job ad from them at least once per week. It doesn't sound like COVID-19 is a likely issue in this case.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Go knock on his door.
    *Her* door.

Does the contract you signed promise you a minimum number of students or teaching hours?

The reason I ask is that some companies of this type will develop a collection of staff and then make referrals/assignments based on client demand, which can vary from time to time and range from being busy to non-existent depending on the need for your specialty.

Quote Quoting L-1
    View Post
    Does the contract you signed promise you a minimum number of students or teaching hours?

The reason I ask is that some companies of this type will develop a collection of staff and then make referrals/assignments based on client demand, which can vary from time to time and range from being busy to non-existent depending on the need for your specialty.
    It does not. However the CFO did say she needed a piano teacher in that suburb as soon as possible. Students were requesting lessons and the only teacher she had who could cover them is mainly a guitarist who can only teach piano if there is nobody else available. Even if they're building up a roster of teachers that doesn't explain why they're ignoring me. The CFO asked for a photo and bio to put on their website and approved both, but never did anything with them. Students can request a specific teacher, so it makes sense to have every teacher listed on the site even if they don't have any students at the moment. It was all very much "let's get moving and start sending you students" until it abruptly stopped and my follow-ups went unanswered. There hasn't even been a "We don't have any work for you right now, but sit tight" response. The last thing I heard from them was "Let me check where things are with your paperwork".

Quote Quoting kefooian
    View Post
    It does not. However the CFO did say she needed a piano teacher in that suburb as soon as possible. Students were requesting lessons and the only teacher she had who could cover them is mainly a guitarist who can only teach piano if there is nobody else available. Even if they're building up a roster of teachers that doesn't explain why they're ignoring me. The CFO asked for a photo and bio to put on their website and approved both, but never did anything with them. Students can request a specific teacher, so it makes sense to have every teacher listed on the site even if they don't have any students at the moment. It was all very much "let's get moving and start sending you students" until it abruptly stopped and my follow-ups went unanswered. There hasn't even been a "We don't have any work for you right now, but sit tight" response. The last thing I heard from them was "Let me check where things are with your paperwork".
    I'm sorry to put this bluntly, but it might be time to take the hint...

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast