Default Health Insurance Company Lawyer

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Indiana

I was rear ended early in 2017. Late last month I received a letter from a law firm representing the health insurance company I had (thru work) at the time of the accident. this letter states that I owe $5800.

When I called the lawyer that represented me, he said that he addressed what he was on notice of and anything he was not on notice are not his responsibility. He also said that I need to dispute it there was no settlement.

I contacted the law firm by email and phone but no one got back to me.

Any advises on how to approach this situation?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Default Re: Health Insurance Company Lawyer

Why are they claiming you owe them the money?

Is it for treatment related to the accident?

Did you have your own auto insurance or file a claim against the other party's insurance to cover the medical costs?

Usually they don't bring in lawyers right away so did you receive any other correspondence related to the matter?
    I am the Mouse Man

Quote Quoting LegAssistNeed
    View Post
    My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Indiana

I was rear ended early in 2017. Late last month I received a letter from a law firm representing the health insurance company I had (thru work) at the time of the accident. this letter states that I owe $5800.

When I called the lawyer that represented me, he said that he addressed what he was on notice of and anything he was not on notice are not his responsibility. He also said that I need to dispute it there was no settlement.

I contacted the law firm by email and phone but no one got back to me.

Any advises on how to approach this situation?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Did you receive a settlement from another driver or their insurance company?

View Post
    this letter states that I owe $5800.
    Because...???

View Post
    He also said that I need to dispute it there was no settlement.
    There appears to be a word or two missing from this sentence.

View Post
    how to approach this situation?
    Not without more and better information. Please answer all of the questions you've been asked.

View Post

That could be possible if the health insurance company wasn't reimbursed out of your settlement.

View Post

When I called the lawyer that represented me, he said that he addressed what he was on notice of and anything he was not on notice are not his responsibility.
    That's true.

View Post

He also said that I need to dispute it there was no settlement.
    "There was no settlement"?

What does that mean?

Did the other driver's insurance company pay nothing? Or was it you who got nothing after the lawyer and lienholders got paid.

Thanks pg1067

This is the exact wording from the letter regarding the $5861.90: "This firm represent Anthem BlueCross BlueShield with respect to reimbursement in the amount of $5861.90 for medical benefits paid on behalf of your injuries caused by other parties. these payments were made for expenses incurred in connection with treatments you received for an injury or incident that occurred on May 2017"

The other party had a bad insurance. the lawyer got me about $20K (including medical expenses and lawyer fees) and about $40K from my car insurance (including the rest of medical expenses and lawyer fees). Also when I contacted the lawyer when I received this reimbursement letter, he said , that I have to dispute it, as there was no settlement.

Hopefully this clarifies the situation.

Thanks again.

This is the exact wording from the letter regarding the $5861.90: "This firm represent Anthem BlueCross BlueShield with respect to reimbursement in the amount of $5861.90 for medical benefits paid on behalf of your injuries caused by other parties. these payments were made for expenses incurred in connection with treatments you received for an injury or incident that occurred on May 2017"
    That's right. Anthem had a right of reimbursement out of your settlement.

The other party had a bad insurance. the lawyer got me about $20K (including medical expenses and lawyer fees) and about $40K from my car insurance (including the rest of medical expenses and lawyer fees). Also when I contacted the lawyer when I received this reimbursement letter, he said , that I have to dispute it, as there was no settlement.
    That's wrong. There was a settlement. There were two settlements. $20,000 from the other driver's insurance company. That was a settlement. You got $40,000 from your Underinsured Motorist Coverage. That's also a settlement.

After the lawyer got his percentage all the known liens should have been paid. If the Anthem lien was not known at the time it still has to be paid because that's what is likely in your contract with Anthem.

I don't know what your lawyer means by "disputing" it. Maybe he means you can attempt to negotiate a discounted lump sum cash settlement.

So how you guys think I should proceed knowing:
    1. Most of that $ went to cover 33% of the Lawyer fees and then medical expenses.
    2. I emailed and called the BlueCross BlueShield Lawyer but no response so far.

Thanks again

View Post
    2. I emailed and called the BlueCross BlueShield Lawyer but no response so far.
    Keep at it.

How you proceed depends on several factors:
    How much cash do you have to offer?
    Is this your only debt?
    If not, do you have enough debt to make it worth considering bankruptcy?

Anthem should have Subrogated and gone after either one or both of the insurance companies, not you. And I'm not sure but it may be too late for Anthem to sue you for the money.

Indiana has some interesting law on the subject. I would try to get a consult with a personal injury attorney before you decide to pay anything. I think that may be the reason your attorney is saying you should dispute the debt.

1. Sponsored Links