Default Security Cameras on Private Property

My question involves real estate located in the State of: CT

Hello all. Sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum. I own a residential property which has an easement on one side which give access to a land locked property behind me. The neighbor and I do not get along. I have had cctv cameras set up for a while now for many reasons.

I am trying to find out the answers to a few questions.

Can I legally record him or anyone that comes on and off the property?

I read that to record audio, it is illegal under federal law, true? If so how does that work with blink and ring?

Do I need some sort of "security camera" sign on the property somewhere, kind of like a beware of dog?

Can I post any footage online as its on private property? Or will that violate his rights? For example, if he is harassing my family and the police do not want to act, can I put it on social media?

Thanks!

Default Re: Security Cameras on Private Property

Quote Quoting Izzy67
    View Post
    Can I legally record him or anyone that comes on and off the property?
    You can legally video record anything that can be observed from a location where you have a legal right to be.

Quote Quoting Izzy67
    View Post
    I read that to record audio, it is illegal under federal law, true? If so how does that work with blink and ring?
    Under Connecticut law, it is a felony to record an oral or telephone communication without the consent of at least one party to the communication.

Quote Quoting Izzy67
    View Post
    Do I need some sort of "security camera" sign on the property somewhere, kind of like a beware of dog?
    No one here is in a position to opine intelligently about your needs.

Quote Quoting Izzy67
    View Post
    Can I post any footage online as its on private property? Or will that violate his rights? For example, if he is harassing my family and the police do not want to act, can I put it on social media?
    You can do these things. Whether it would violate any of the other person's rights is a fact-specific issue.

Quote Quoting Izzy67
    View Post

Posting online is unwise. You'll escalate hostility. If he's enough of a lunatic he might aim that hostility toward your family or just sue you for defamation, causing you a great deal of inconvenience and expense.

If your video catches him in the act of doing anything illegal, make a copy and turn it over to the police.

Sometimes the best way of dealing with lunatics is avoiding them.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    You can legally video record anything that can be observed from a location where you have a legal right to be.
    That is too broad of a definition. One can be on their own property but cannot record through a window what happens in the neighbor's house . Where there is an expectation of privacy, you can't record it.

OP is the servient estate (the easement is on his land). He can video record whatever happens on his own land.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Under Connecticut law, it is a felony to record an oral or telephone communication without the consent of at least one party to the communication.
    And it is also illegal under federal law, too.

1. Sponsored Links