Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Using Artist Name/Song Title in Movie Dialogue

So I am wondering if I am able to use a musician's name/band name and song title ( not lyrics ) within the dialogue of a movie without
    breaking any law or requiring permission.

Example: Teacher: "Are there any more Simple Minds?"
    Student: "Don't you forget about me!"

Example: Man 1: "Say my name!"
    Man 2: "Destiny's Child?"

Example: Man: "Anyone want to take The Guess Who Hand me down World?"

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Using Artist Name/Song Title in Movie Dialogue

What US state or jurisdiction?

Quote Quoting jimmie89
    View Post

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Doesn't matter where you are. If you have doubt, you get consent and you pay for it if you have to.

Or, you put aside lots of money for legal defense when you get sued.

Some phrases may be generic enough to get by. Others might not. Also depends on context. What you've written, and the way you've written it, could easily be construed as infringement. Writing it some other way maybe not.

At any rate, if you have to steal the work of others, maybe you should give up the idea of making a movie.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Doesn't matter where you are. If you have doubt, you get consent and you pay for it if you have to.

Some phrases may be generic enough to get by. Others might not. Also depends on context. What you've written, and the way you've written it, could easily be construed as infringement. Writing it some other way maybe not.
    I agree with the above.

At any rate, if you have to steal the work of others, maybe you should give up the idea of making a movie.
    Many works make reference to other works in the way (or similar ways) that the OP is asking about.

View Post

Re the bolded, I read the OP's question as more along the lines of a trivia game being played by some people in the movie using song titles and artist's names. That certainly wouldn't be "stealing the work of others". I suspect that would not violate any copyrights.

Would you consider a scene in a movie where someone is on a first date and the other party asks them what their favorite artist or song was "stealing the work of others" as well? If not, where do you draw the line between casual pop culture conversation in a movie and copyright violations?

Quote Quoting jimmie89
    View Post
    So I am wondering if I am able to use a musician's name/band name and song title ( not lyrics ) within the dialogue of a movie without
    breaking any law or requiring permission.
    I have little doubt that you have this ability, but I doubt that's what you actually intended to ask.

None of the things you mentioned would trigger any sort of viable legal claim. The response that insinuates what you're describing is "stealing" is absurd and reflects a complete lack of understanding of the applicable law.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post

Would you consider a scene in a movie where someone is on a first date and the other party asks them what their favorite artist or song was "stealing the work of others" as well? If not, where do you draw the line between casual pop culture conversation in a movie and copyright violations?
    I don't draw the line. The owner of the work draws the line.

View Post
    The law draws the line as to the rights copyright holders have. And in general a simple reference to a work, like mentioning a song title in a story, isn't going to infringe on the copyright.

The law draws the line as to the rights copyright holders have. And in general a simple reference to a work, like mentioning a song title in a story, isn't going to infringe on the copyright.
    Best news I heard all day!

View Post
    Ummm...no. The law draws the line. Those laws include copyright (which don't apply to titles of works), trademark and the right of publicity, and none of the things the OP mentioned would violate any of them.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast