Default Dad is Leaving the Country and No Insurance

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Florida
    We have been divorced for four years. Last year before the coronavirus my ex decided to quit his job and take out his retirement. He had $37,000 that he took to his home country of turkey and spent on his family members there. Before he left he’s had stopped taking the children for visits. Also his work provided insurance for them and they have been uninsured for over a year. He came back in June but will not take the children for visitation. He has since put his house on the market and is planning on moving back to Turkey. He doesn’t call them or do anything with them. He doesn’t help with any expenses but he does pay the measly $340 a month. How can I get him to pay insurance and guarantee that he is going to pay child support since he is going to move overseas?

Default Re: Dad is Leaving the Country and No Insurance

Unfortunately, there is nothing that will guarantee he pays child support and/or carries insurance on his children if he moves overseas. Actually nothing guarantees it if he doesn't move overseas. If he does not do what the court orders him to do and he is living in the U. S. He might lose his driver's license, hunting license, etc. If he files federal income tax and is owed a refund he probably will not receive it. He might also be put in jail. But there is nothing that can make him obey the court order.

Is your ex a US citizen?

There is no requirement that he take the children for visits. Is there a court order requiring him to provide and/or pay for health insurance for the children?

Quote Quoting Tiredteacher
    View Post
    How can I get him to pay insurance and guarantee that he is going to pay child support since he is going to move overseas?
    Once he is out of the U.S., there is no practical way to guarantee or enforce anything. I would strongly suggest that you retain the services of an attorney ASAP to see about placing a lien against his home so that you can get as much money as possible out of the sale of the home. After that, you'll be on your own.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Once he is out of the U.S., there is no practical way to guarantee or enforce anything. I would strongly suggest that you retain the services of an attorney ASAP to see about placing a lien against his home so that you can get as much money as possible out of the sale of the home. After that, you'll be on your own.
    What do you think the OP is due? The guy is paying the court ordered support, as indicated the the phrase "... he does pay the measly $340 a month. " (Emphasis added.)
    It IS possible that he owes more, but that would assume facts that we don't have, and won't have until the OP answers the question(s) posed. If the guy is current on his obligations, then how can a lien be obtained?

Quote Quoting Zigner
    View Post
    If the guy is current on his obligations, then how can a lien be obtained?
    It wouldn't be obtainable under those circumstances, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to check into that with a local attorney.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    It wouldn't be obtainable under those circumstances, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to check into that with a local attorney.
    Yes, I totally agree with you on that

1. Sponsored Links