Default Help

i just have a question.. im not having the best home life and i turn 18 in under 6 months.. i also have a screenshot of my mom telling me i have the right to leave when i want to! but if im under 18 am i still allowed to move out of state as in running away?

Default Re: Help

The screenshot means nothing. You're still a minor in the eyes of the law. Stick it out until your birthday and then you can do whatever you want and go wherever you want.

Quote Quoting kla2083
    View Post
    i just have a question.. im not having the best home life and i turn 18 in under 6 months.. i also have a screenshot of my mom telling me i have the right to leave when i want to! but if im under 18 am i still allowed to move out of state as in running away?
    In what state do you live?

What state are you in now and where would you go?

You are a minor for at least another six months (much longer if you live in one of the small handful of states where the age of majority is something other than 18). Until you reach the age of majority, you are subject to the control of your parent(s)/legal guardian(s). If you leave before then, there's a possibility you could be forced to return. On the other hand, if your parent(s)/guardian(s) don't care about you leaving, then that won't happen. However, persons under the age of majority do not have the legal capacity to contract, which means, among other things, no one is likely to rent you a decent place to live. Nor are you likely to be able to get a job without your parent(s)' approval.

Until you are no longer a minor, which means 18 in most states and 19 in a few, you live wherever your parents say you live. If they say you can move out, you can move out. If they say you move back home, then you move back home. Your screenshot has no legal significance if your mother decides to change her mind about where she wants, or will permit, you to live.

1. Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources