Default Florida Vehicle Registration

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Florida

I own(?) a vehicle with a clear title and my girlfriend (now EX-Girlfriend) asked me to add her name to the title/registration and I allowed her to do that. She then unknowingly to me proceeded to borrow $12k against it (Lien). The financial responsibility for this Lien on all aspects is not attached to me at all. I want to remove my name from the registration so that I can give her the vehicle because she is not paying the payments on the money she received. Eventually the vehicle will be taken to recover any possible money by the bank that gave her the money. How can I do this? The registration has a comma between our names. There is not and "and" or "or". Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Also...if this vehicle were taken by the financial institution, would I be held responsible for the debt in any way simply because my name is on the registration?

Default Re: Florida Vehicle Registration

I own(?) a vehicle with a clear title and my girlfriend (now EX-Girlfriend) asked me to add her name to the title/registration and I allowed her to do that.
    Did you take a stupid pill that day?

Start with a trip to the DMV with ex and title and get a new title issued in her name only. The lien should follow the title.

If that doesn't work, call the lender and surrender the car. Don't give it to her.

I don't see you as being responsible for the debt.

I don't see how the vehicle could be taken/repossessed if it is equally my property and I am not financially responsible. In other words if I just keep the vehicle, which I really want to because its a custom vehicle, I don't see how my property could be taken? Your thoughts? and yes you're absolutely right about the stupid pill!!

Quote Quoting Jhilliard1621
    View Post
    I don't see how the vehicle could be taken/repossessed if it is equally my property and I am not financially responsible. In other words if I just keep the vehicle, which I really want to because its a custom vehicle, I don't see how my property could be taken? Your thoughts? and yes you're absolutely right about the stupid pill!!
    You owned a vehicle with a clear title. You now own along with your ex-GF a vehicle with a $12K lien on the title. They can take it because the vehicle is the collateral for the loan.

Thank you for the responses!

Quote Quoting Jhilliard1621
    View Post
    I don't see how my property could be taken?
    Because it's not YOUR property anymore. It's property owned jointly by you and your ex and it's encumbered by loan that you have her the right to get when you gave her ownership.

1. Sponsored Links