Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Summons Response Time Period-when Does It Start

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Illinois

Received a summons lately and I have 30 days to respond according to it. Does the 30 day period start when they issue the summons or the day after you are served with the summons? I have some time to respond but week in a half went by from time it was issued to when I was served. Want to take time to process it and deliver an answer but wanted to make sure I know the basics first. Thanks

Default Re: Summons Response Time Period-when Does It Start

While it actually starts ticking from the date of receipt, don't play games with that clock. Assume it starts ticking at the date of issue and act accordingly.

I just received it the other day. Was just trying to make sure as I know it was issued last month and received the other day. I live in same town as courthouse just wanted to make sure as caught me off guard. Big difference in knowing what I asked in the first post.

The clock starts running from the date of service. The date of issuance is irrelevant and should be disregarded. While not apparently applicable in your case, more than 30 days could pass between the date of issuance and date of service, so assuming the clock started running on the date of issuance could mean that the time had expired before the date of service, so making such an assumption would be ridiculous.

That is exactly why I started the thread. Someone that has no background in legal matters/terms, I wanted to make sure I understood the timeline. It was issued 09/23 and I received the summons on 10/5. Exactly why I am asking as seems basic to most but to someone that hasn't been served a summons before I was quite confused.

Quote Quoting DavidAd
    View Post
    That is exactly why I started the thread. Someone that has no background in legal matters/terms, I wanted to make sure I understood the timeline. It was issued 09/23 and I received the summons on 10/5. Exactly why I am asking as seems basic to most but to someone that hasn't been served a summons before I was quite confused.
    Understand something: Not EVERYBODY is honest. If you act as if you received the summons on 9/23, then you are assured of not being late on deadlines.

More curious now than anything....

So does the process server relay the message to the plaintiff, the court, etc and that gets entered in for the time or how does that work?

Quote Quoting DavidAd
    View Post
    More curious now than anything....

So does the process server relay the message to the plaintiff, the court, etc and that gets entered in for the time or how does that work?
    Ok, fine. Just assume that nobody's going to lie on the paperwork.

It really was just a question. No need to get bent out of shape on it. As I mentioned before just trying to understand how it all works out. That is why I have asked multiple questions to understand more....that is it. I have no judgment towards you just taking it all in. Thanks

Once you are served, a proof of service form is returned to the court by the process server, and that is how the court is notified about the service.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast