Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Mother Took Child Over 10 Years Ago Now Wants Support

Quote Quoting OKisNotOK
    View Post
    Dad should request visitation based on the distance between him and the child and use every bit granted. It is mom's responsibility to make the child available; he should immediately file for contempt if visitation is denied. Step-mom should be welcoming and do all possible to make the child comfortable in the child's additional home.
    It sounds like the child is 16. There is no guarantee that any visitation would be granted at this stage if the child objects.

If child will not connect with dad then dad should be sure to setup his estate plan to deliberately exclude the child from any inheritance. He should NOT ignore the issue and die intestate!

I am frustrated by parents who deny visitation but file for child support using the limited visitation to obtain a higher award as is possible in some states where awards are based on custody times with each parent.

And I have never understood why it is a bad thing when (a) a parent who has voluntarily not been in the child's life realizes that he should do so or (b) a parent who has been keeping the child from the other parent realizes the value of including him or her. And by value I am not talking about child support.

(I will reiterate what others have said; if the mother has applied for any kind of state aid she may not have a choice about contacting the putative father.)

So there we are.

Quote Quoting OKisNotOK
    View Post
    If child will not connect with dad then dad should be sure to setup his estate plan to deliberately exclude the child from any inheritance. He should NOT ignore the issue and die intestate!
    You mean because the almost-adult doesn't want anything to do with a stranger that he knows not through no fault of his own? Nice.

I am frustrated by parents who deny visitation but file for child support using the limited visitation to obtain a higher award as is possible in some states where awards are based on custody times with each parent.
    And I am frustrated by parents who do not aggressively act to ensure their (both their and the child's) RIGHTS are enforced.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3