Default Phone Confiscated at a School in San Diego

At the end of the school year in 2019 I got two phones taken and told that I couldnít get them till the end of the school year and my mother had to pick it up. Itís been a whole year because my mom never went and I was now told, after emailing the person who took them away, that they hold onto our phones till after we leave and never get them back. In response to my email the staff member was uncertain if he might have recycled my phones that he took away. Is that legal and what are my options?

Default Re: Phone Confiscated at a School in San Diego

Have your parents contact them.

Quote Quoting student1203
    View Post
    At the end of the school year in 2019 I got two phones taken and told that I couldn’t get them till the end of the school year and my mother had to pick it up. It’s been a whole year because my mom never went and I was now told, after emailing the person who took them away, that they hold onto our phones till after we leave and never get them back. In response to my email the staff member was uncertain if he might have recycled my phones that he took away. Is that legal and what are my options?
    You should have verified the truthfulness of the above statement when they first took your phone. Were your parents OK with them taking your phone?

I question the supposed school policy of taking a student's phone beyond the end of that school day. A phone is a child's lifeline to their parents and to their safety. I doubt a school could legally do anything to put a child's safety at risk...like taking their phone overnight.

Quote Quoting student1203
    View Post
    At the end of the school year in 2019 I got two phones taken and told that I couldnít get them till the end of the school year and my mother had to pick it up. Itís been a whole year because my mom never went and I was now told, after emailing the person who took them away, that they hold onto our phones till after we leave and never get them back. In response to my email the staff member was uncertain if he might have recycled my phones that he took away. Is that legal and what are my options?
    Was this a private or public school? It's been well over a year now since the phones were taken. Did you or your parents make any effort between when the phones were taken and now to get them back?

In addition to the questions asked by "Zigner" and "Taxing Matters," please identify the state where this occurred and tell us your age.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    You should have verified the truthfulness of the above statement when they first took your phone. Were your parents OK with them taking your phone?

I question the supposed school policy of taking a student's phone beyond the end of that school day. A phone is a child's lifeline to their parents and to their safety. I doubt a school could legally do anything to put a child's safety at risk...like taking their phone overnight.
    You can question it all that you'd like...but it is legal.

Attention Readers,

Harold99 posts for no other reason than to take shots at senior members of the forum and lawyers in general. *It would be wise to ignore whatever he writes. While the person posting under the name of Harold99 has been banned from this site at least 3 times but, due to the current lack of moderation, he isn’t being banned. Hopefully, that will change in the future but for now, we have to live with it.

For now, I suggest you simply ignore his posts but if you do read them please read any responses posted by the more rational members.

1. Sponsored Links