Default Can We Demand a Refund for Pre-Paid Massages when the Company Dissolved Due to Covid

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Minnesota
    We are Wisconsin residents but paid a business in Minnesota for a package of massages. (around $900.00)
    The company has since dissolved due to Covid.
    The proprietor says that she is going to "out of the goodness of her heart" still provide the service but
    continues to schedule and cancel the massages.
    She also indicated to us that her lawyer told her that she is not bound to providing these massages since her business is dissolved.
    Can we request a refund or take her to small claims?

Default Re: Can We Demand a Refund for Pre-Paid Massages when the Company Dissolved Due to Co

Quote Quoting Srehn
    View Post
    My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Minnesota
    We are Wisconsin residents but paid a business in Minnesota for a package of massages. (around $900.00)
    The proprietor says that she is going to "out of the goodness of her heart" still provide the service but
    continues to schedule and cancel the massages.
    She also indicated to us that her lawyer told her that she is not bound to providing these massages since her business is dissolved.
    Yes to both questions, of course. You are totally free to ask her for a refund (America, what a country!). The outcome of a lawsuit would depend on facts that you haven't given us, such as the business structure and the actual wording of your contract.

EDIT: I (we) don't need the wording of your contract, because contract review is beyond the scope of this (or any) internet forum. If you don't understand what is contained in your contract, then you should visit with a local attorney who can advise you on the matter.

Default Re: Can We Demand a Refund for Pre-Paid Massages when the Company Dissolved Due to Co

Quote Quoting Srehn
    View Post

I'm sure you have the ability to do both.

Whether you get any money back either way is anybody's guess.

Quote Quoting Srehn
    View Post
    The proprietor says that she is going to "out of the goodness of her heart" still provide the service
    What is the relationship between "the proprietor" and "the company"? You wrote that "the company has . . . dissolved." What exactly does that mean? Was the company a sole proprietorship? A corporation or LLC? Something else?

Quote Quoting Srehn
    View Post
    You can request anything you like. Did you really not know that?

And, anyone can sue anyone for anything. However, depending on how you answer the questions I asked, you may or may not have any valid claim against the woman you have referred to as "the proprietor."

I got the same situation with a travel agent, they said I could get 60% only (because of booking) or get the travel later

Quote Quoting Loveyer
    View Post
    I got the same situation with a travel agent, they said I could get 60% only (because of booking) or get the travel later

Your travel agent was giving you massages?
    (Your situation was not the same at all.)

Quote Quoting Loveyer
    View Post
    I'm at a complete loss to understand how your issue, in an unidentified state, with a travel agent has any similarity whatsoever to (much less is "the same situation" as) the OP's issue with a masseuse in the State of Minnesota.

Quote Quoting Zigner
    View Post
    Your travel agent was giving you massages?
    (Your situation was not the same at all.)
    Perhaps loveyer is confused because of plumbering issues.

Px Hx.

Good morning. Thank you for taking the time to read my question.
    Yes, we know that we "can request anything" but came to this forum to get more information if it was a valid claim.
    The company/proprietor are one person so I would best guess that this was a sole proprietorship.
    Thank you.

Quote Quoting Srehn
    View Post
    The company/proprietor are one person so I would best guess that this was a sole proprietorship.
    You need more than a guess. You need to figure this out. A sole proprietorship cannot be "dissolved," but a corporation can. If the owner of the corporation properly dissolved the corporation, then you're almost certainly out of luck. If it's a sole proprietorship, then you might have something worth pursuing.

1. Sponsored Links