Default Adult Child Living with Parents Auto Liability

My question involves the state of: PA

I live in PA. I have a 21 year old living with us covered under our auto insurance. The car he typically uses is registered in my name. The other car we own is registered under my husbandís name only.
    I understand if we are at fault for a claim, our policy no matter who is driving or who is registered owner is responsible for vehicle damage to our car & the other party car & personal injury to us.
    If I sell him my car & register in his name only, does he need his own insurance policy or can he remain covered under our plan & NOT be OUR legal responsibility for liability for injury to others if he causes the auto accident.

Default Re: Adult Child Living with Parents Auto Liability

Quote Quoting CopterMom
    View Post
    My question involves the state of: PA

If I sell him my car & register in his name only, does he need his own insurance policy or can he remain covered under our plan & NOT be OUR legal responsibility for liability for injury to others if he causes the auto accident.
    Why do you feel that you, legally, would have responsibility/liability for an accident he may cause?

If you want to cut all ties, then he should get his own insurance on his own car. Your insurance may want to exclude him from your policy as well. All of this has nothing to do with your legal liability for an accident that he may cause.

Quote Quoting CopterMom
    View Post
    I understand if we are at fault for a claim, our policy no matter who is driving or who is registered owner is responsible for vehicle damage to our car & the other party car & personal injury to us.
    That's a bit of a mess of a sentence.

I think what you're saying is that you have collision coverage that will repair your insured autos, up to fair market value, and subject to the deductible, as long as the damage occurred while the vehicle was being driven by a named insured or anyone driving with your permission. AND, you have liability coverage that will apply if a named insured or permissive driver is driving. If that's what you're saying, collision coverage applies regardless of who's driving.

Quote Quoting CopterMom
    View Post
    If you sell or give your car to your son, he can be covered under your policy (assuming your insurer allows that) or he could get his own policy (I'm not sure what the reference to "our plan" might mean). As far as you having legal liability, the only way you'd have liability for an accident caused by your adult child would be if you allowed him to drive your car despite knowing or having reason to know that he was no likely to operate the vehicle safely.

as the owner of my car, owner is legally responsible for the acts of the driver of any car you own, regardless of whether you are actually driving the car.

Example-college kid-using mom's car- mom can be held liable for any injuries or damage child causes from car accident which happens when he is driving a vehicle that is registered in your name

That provoked the question, if the child has the car register in his name, he owns the car, it removes the liability form me? Is my question more clear?

Quote Quoting CopterMom
    View Post
    as the owner of my car, owner is legally responsible for the acts of the driver of any car you own, regardless of whether you are actually driving the car.

Example-college kid-using mom's car- mom can be held liable for any injuries or damage child causes from car accident which happens when he is driving a vehicle that is registered in your name

That provoked the question, if the child has the car register in his name, he owns the car, it removes the liability form me? Is my question more clear?
    Your question is based on a false premise. The OWNER of the vehicle isn't liable (except in certain circumstances) for an accident caused by a non-owner who is driving. Of course, if you know that the non-owner driver has no license, or has a history of DUI (as an example), that may change, but, generally, the owner doesn't automatically have liability.

Quote Quoting Zigner
    View Post
    Your question is based on a false premise. The OWNER of the vehicle isn't liable (except in certain circumstances) for an accident caused by a non-owner who is driving. Of course, if you know that the non-owner driver has no license, or has a history of DUI (as an example), that may change, but, generally, the owner doesn't automatically have liability.
    I think that varies a bit from state to state. In my state I believe that the owner is also responsible.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I think that varies a bit from state to state. In my state I believe that the owner is also responsible.
    Yes, and in mine the owner can also have some liability (with a cap on the amount), but we're talking about PA.

If he has his own car and his own policy, that is fine... until YOU drive the car. Most insurance companies will not treat this as casual use if you live in the same house. You should discuss this with your INSURANCE COMPANY (or agent).
    \

1. Sponsored Links