Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Certificate of Trust with Address Change

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: CA

The certificate of trust has the mailing address. If one moves, does he have to change the mailing address to the new address? Or does it not affect the trust at all?

If necessary, What is the easiest way to change the mailing address on the certificate of trust? I.e. do you have to pay the attorney to rewrite the new mailing address?

Default Re: Certificate of Trust with Address Change

The mailing address is largely irrelevant. If you move to a different state, it would behoove you to have an attorney review things in light of the new location.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    If you move to a different state, it would behoove you to have an attorney review things in light of the new location.
    Right.

Trust laws may differ from state to state and assets may have changed.

It is within the same state. Just checking to see if you have to update mailing address or it will make things complicated in the future or not.

Quote Quoting jyeh74
    View Post
    The certificate of trust has the mailing address.
    The mailing address of what?

Also, let's clarify what you're talking about because I suspect anyone responding who isn't in California will assume "certificate of trust" refers to the trust instrument. Maybe that's what you meant, although I've never heard of a trust instrument being referred to as a "certificate of trust." Rather, I assume you're talking about a certification of trust pursuant to section 18100.5 of the Probate Code. Please clarify which is correct. If my assumption is correct, a certification of trust does not need to contain any address.

Quote Quoting jyeh74
    View Post
    If one moves, does he have to change the mailing address to the new address? Or does it not affect the trust at all?
    Huh? Who (or what) is "one," and who is "he"?

Quote Quoting jyeh74
    View Post
    If necessary, What is the easiest way to change the mailing address on the certificate of trust? I.e. do you have to pay the attorney to rewrite the new mailing address?
    No sane person would pay a lawyer to prepare a PC 18100.5 certification of trust. Anyone with access to the internet can obtain a form that complies with the statutory requirements, and new certifications can be prepared at any time.

The trust itself is long. It doesn’t have any address on it. Then there is a two page certificate of trust which is two pages. In this certificate of trust, it has the name of the person who can revoke it, the mailing address, how title is taken etc

How important is it that the mailing address has to match when the Trustee moves to a new address?

Quote Quoting jyeh74
    View Post
    The trust itself is long. It doesn’t have any address on it. Then there is a two page certificate of trust which is two pages. In this certificate of trust, it has the name of the person who can revoke it, the mailing address, how title is taken etc

How important is it that the mailing address has to match when the Trustee moves to a new address?
    Your question was answered earlier in this thread (Post #5): https://www.expertlaw.com/forums/sho...13#post1149613

Quote Quoting Zigner
    View Post
    Your question was answered earlier in this thread (Post #5): https://www.expertlaw.com/forums/sho...13#post1149613
    Thank you. It is strange that the certificate includes the mailing address. Wasn’t sure myself why it was there.

I'm going to point out that, in my prior response in this thread (#5), I asked at least three questions all of which you ignored.

Quote Quoting jyeh74
    View Post

How important is it that the mailing address FOR WHOM/WHAT has to match WHAT?

I don't know if it will help, but, as I type this, I have a 21-page trust instrument open on my other screen. The only addresses in the document are that of the lawyer who drafted it (in the footer on every one of the 21 pages) and those of a few pieces of real property owned by the trust. The trustee's address isn't in it at all and, as I wrote previously, PC 18100.5 does not require that a certification of trust contain anyone's or anything's address.

When the trustee moves to a new address, how important is it for the new mailing address of the trustee to be updated on the Certificate of Trust

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast