Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What Rights Do I Have to My Decesed Son' Business

Quote Quoting Zigner
    View Post
    It's also possible that the business was structured in such a way that the transfer was automatic.
    True. Especially if the OP meant business partner instead of mate as he probably did upon rereading the post.

Thanks to all. No will that I know of. I jut want to know about his business.

Quote Quoting freealfin
    View Post
    My son was not married and had no children. There's a surviving sister. His mother died lat year.
    If he had no will, then you'd be the sole heir to the estate. The sister would not be entitled to anything.

Quote Quoting freealfin
    View Post
    His partner claims my son left his part to him.
    Left it how? There are two ways that the partner might be entitled to your son's interest in the partnership: (1) if that's what the partnership agreement says; or (2) if your son had a will that said that. Either way, if this is what the partner is claiming, he ought to be able to point you to the relevant language in the partnership agreement or the will.

Quote Quoting freealfin
    View Post
    Who's OP?
    You are. "OP" stands for original poster (or original post).

Quote Quoting freealfin
    View Post
    Medical Examiner has not yet completed his report.
    Why is the medical examiner involved, and why is it taking 3+ months? Did your son die under suspicious circumstances?

Quote Quoting freealfin
    View Post
    Thanks to all. No will that I know of. I jut want to know about his business.
    Regardless of what you learn about his business, he may have personal assets (cars, home, personal property, bank accounts, investment accounts, etc) to be distributed according to his will. If no will, under intestacy which that you and his sister may share in those assets. You'll still have to address the probate angle.

Quote Quoting freealfin
    View Post
    His partner claims my son left his part to him.
    Then you've spoken to the partner. To what extent? Did you ask for documentation of the partner's claim? What did the partner say about that? If you haven't asked yet, it's something you'll need to address in detail.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Regardless of what you learn about his business, he may have personal assets (cars, home, personal property, bank accounts, investment accounts, etc) to be distributed according to his will. If no will, under intestacy which that you and his sister may share in those assets. You'll still have to address the probate angle.
    In this situation, the sister wouldn't be entitled to anything under AZ intestate succession. With no spouse or children, it all goes to the surviving parent(s).

Quote Quoting Zigner
    View Post
    It's also possible that the business was structured in such a way that the transfer was automatic.
    I agree. There are sometimes provisions in a partnership agreement that the remaining partner receives the shares of the deceased partner. It really depends on the nature of the partnership and the type of work done.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2