Default Red Light Camera Ticket

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: IL

The feds cracked down on the state of IL red camera program as corrupt. State law makers had banned the program. Still some cities still use the abusive program.

I've made my own redress letter with recent websites links that show feds and a few state law makers banned program.

I refuse to pay as the mayor of that city defends riot mobs and have shared that concern in my redress letter as well with photo ticket.

Can I sue the city in small claims ?

Default Re: Red Light Camera Ticket

No, you can't sue the city in small claims court or any court because the city has sovereign immunity. You can only sue for those issues that the law allows you to sue for and a traffic ticket isn't one of them. Google IL Torts Claims Act.

I assume you got cited by a redlight camera even though they were banned? If so, what you describe is similar to the redlight camera system in Los Angeles County which were also "banned."

In LA they still use the cameras but they will not pursue you if you ignore the intimidating violation notice sent in the mail. Knowledgable people just throw them in the trash. However, if they send a second notice by certified mail with signature required, and you accept it and sign it, which proves that you were served, you are then on the hook to pay the citation.

Did you respond to the notice in any way? But then again, I am stating an LA policy. IL policy may be different.

Quote Quoting 007green
    View Post

State law makers had banned the program.

Why not plead not guilty and use the ban as your defense?

The ban hasn't been signed in to law:

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bil...123950#actions

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Why not plead not guilty and use the ban as your defense?
    I would assume the enforcement of those citations is made more difficult, not the act of collecting evidence in that fashion. Like many things about law, one must respond the correct way to get off.

While I can find that the state House passed a bill out of committee and the state Senate has such a bill in committee, I can't find anywhere that either have passed into law.

The House version only bans them in cities aren't under "Home Rule." The Senate version bans them state wide.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/illin...ras-statewide/

I seems newest update is from March so this may have ground to a halt due to COVID.

1. Sponsored Links