Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cali DMV Screwed Up My Odometer Reading on Title (by at Least 100,000 Miles)

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Maryland/California.
    Transferring title from Cali to Maryland. AAA is handling paperwork (thank god). Found out today that title reads 175,000 miles (dated 2015...!!!).
    My mileage reading TODAY stands at ONLY 122,215 miles (2020). I am the only owner of the car. Purchased brand new.
    Does this 'heavy finger' on the zero thing happen often??? (Strange too that its an even number.)
    How quickly can a correction be fixed??
    As I said, MD DMV & AAA are in my corner & going to bat to fix this gross error. My husband & I are just furious.
    Its holding up everything to get tags & proper registration in our new home state.
    Sign me - Mad as a Hornet in Maryland

Default Re: Cali DMV Screwed Up My Odometer Reading on Title (by at Least 100,000 Miles)

Does this 'heavy finger' on the zero thing happen often???
    It's not uncommon. It's happened to me twice. Once on my truck when it was 10 years old and had only 52,000 miles on it. I took it to emissions testing. When the test was done, they tester gave me the paper. I looked it over while I was still sitting there and saw that he'd put it in as 152,000 miles. I had him enter the correct mileage and reprint the paper. The other time it happened I bought a car with 18,000 miles on the odometer but 25,000 miles on the title. The Carfax showed that the mileage had gone from 12,000 to 25,000 and back to 18,000 at the last emissions test. I made him get it fixed before I handed over any money. Turns out he had transferred title from one state to another and his wife had gone to the DMV without the car. When asked for the then current mileage she just threw out a figure of 25,000.

The point of my story is that I LOOKED at the title. Why didn't you look at yours 5 years ago?

How quickly can a correction be fixed??
    That's a question to ask of the DMV. What do they want you to do to justify the correction?

Default Re: Cali DMV Screwed Up My Odometer Reading on Title (by at Least 100,000 Miles)

Q: The point of my story is that I LOOKED at the title. Why didn't you look at yours 5 years ago?

-------- Maryland Mom responds:
    I had no real reason to microscopically check it for several reasons:
    1) It was coming to me from DMV after credit union initiated paperwork/payoff. No mileage.
    2) I was the only owner. No address change. Just lienholder info changed.
    3) No mileage had ever been attributed to it as the title never changed hands from one owner to another. Maybe the 11 miles on odometer when I purchased it???
    4) I noted the name correction (from 2011) when I changed license to married name. Again. No mileage info.

Why would I think it was wrong or different or anything?????
    I have learned my lesson the hard way.

Q: That's a question to ask of the DMV. What do they want you to do to justify the correction?

-----Maryland Mom responds:
    AAA is handling the paperwork/Cali DMV. The correction is justified w/ multiple documentations (over many years) from myself and their own vehicle inspection report.
    And the grossly exaggerated difference in odometer readings! How is it 175,000 in 2015 and still shy of that # by 50,000 miles NOW 5 yrs later??? Not possible.

Thank you for your response.
    Glad I'm not alone in my frustration.
    Once fooled. Twice shy (overly careful!!).

How is it 175,000 in 2015
    It obviously wasn't the actual mileage back then. Could it have been 75,000 miles in 2015 and somebody added the 1 in error like with my truck?

You might order yourself a Carfax. It'll show the progression of odometer readings at each inspection and/or dealer service point. That might give you a hint as to when it happened and where. You could also go to a dealer and have your service history printed out, unless you already have your own copies of all the invoices showing odometer readings.

Neither of your questions raise any legal issue, and I'm not really sure what sorts of responses you're expecting or seeking that might be helpful. It will take however long it takes to resolve the issue.

Well.....My vehicle isnt LEGAL with the state I live in because of an error that is not my own. That could be a LEGAL issue if we get pulled over, especially in the social climate we find ourselves in currently. Not everyone in my family is white.

I was curious if this had happened to anyone else.??
    And what they did LEGALLY to fix it, remedy it, prove LEGALLY that the vehicle odometer reading in car is the actual LEGAL reading.....
    Not some LEGALLY binding car title from where the car was registered that has a ridiculously incorrect mileage number.

And Adjuster Jack -- thank you for the Carfax tip and contacting the dealership! Extremely helpful. Saves me digging through files for oil change receipts & tune ups. Considering we didn't hit 100,000 miles until 2019, your thought on the miss keying is probably close. California DMV is not always known for their attention to detail.
    Thanks.

Be well folks.

The problem you may run in to is that it IS possible to install a new odometer in a vehicle which would change the mileage. Such a change is supposed to be noted, but isn't always, especially if it's not being done by a "real" mechanic.

I'm not saying that is what happened in this case. I believe you when you say that it hasn't happened. But it's not me (or us) that you have to convince. I wish you luck.

I hear you Zigner. And I get your point & understand that dishonest people ruin it for the rest of us folks. True.
    Im the only owner of this vehicle, odometer has always worked perfectly.
    But requested service record from dealership as Adjuster Jack suggested.... in 2015 my mileage was above 69,000. Crazy.

Quote Quoting Maryland mom
    View Post
    in 2015 my mileage was above 69,000. Crazy.
    What year is your car?

I have a 2008 Honda.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast