Smile Running Away at 17 in the State of Wisconsin

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Wisconsin.

My home is quite abusive, and I am 6 months away from turning 18. If my parents try to call me in as a runaway, what would actually happen? Would police actively search for me? What rights do I have at this point to protect myself?

Default Re: Running Away at 17 in the State of Wisconsin

Quote Quoting dpesko
    View Post
    If my parents try to call me in as a runaway, what would actually happen?
    "Try to call you in"? I assume you meant what would happen if they called the police to report you as a runaway. Obviously, what might happen depends on all of the relevant facts and circumstances -- primarily whether anyone knows where you are. I assume what you REALLY want to know is whether, if you are located, the police would force you to return home. No one here can predict that, but the closer you are to the age of 18, the less likely that is in the abstract.

Quote Quoting dpesko
    View Post
    Would police actively search for me?
    Again, it depends on the facts and circumstances. In the abstract, we have no reason to believe the police wouldn't treat the situation as a kidnapping.

Quote Quoting dpesko
    View Post
    What rights do I have at this point to protect myself?
    You have the same rights as everyone else. I'll note that your description of your home as "quite abusive" isn't terribly meaningful without any explanation of what is actually happening. I hope you understand that, if you're being physically abused, you can call a child abuse hotline and/or the police.

Quote Quoting dpesko
    View Post
    My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Wisconsin.

My home is quite abusive, and I am 6 months away from turning 18. If my parents try to call me in as a runaway, what would actually happen? Would police actively search for me? What rights do I have at this point to protect myself?
    If you can hold out for those six months, until you turn 18, your position would be firm. They cannot make you stay.

Have you spoken to anyone about the abuse?

Contact your school counselor or social worker, your physician, the domestic violence helpline,...

Running away is not in your best interest. You need to finish school so you can support yourself. Most communities have provisions for teens who cannot live at home. It may be a foster home or a group shelter. It may be family counseling so you can remain in your home. If you are truly at risk of physical harm, call the police.

You need to understand that the pandemic has put a huge stress on adults especially if they have had their work and source of income disrupted. If this is the case, please be extra cooperative and helpful.

Please post back and let us know how you are doing and whom you have spoken with and what they have done to help you.

Don't do anything you will regret for a long time. Running away is not the answer when there are so many things that you can do and many people willing to help you.

1. Sponsored Links