Default Does My Neighbor Have Legal Grounds to Make Me Move the Meters

My question involves real estate located in the State of: PA

I purchased a home several years ago. The previous owner owned multiple lots. The house I bought was built first. He later built another home on the lot next door, so we share a wall. The lot next door has a driveway, so the front door is further in the lot. On the shared wall, all the gas and electric meters are mounted. The lot next door with the driveway was sold first to my current neighbor. I purchased my house a few years later. The current neighbor is now demanding that I remove and relocate the meters claiming that it was done illegally. Keep in mind that all inspections passed, from the previous owner building the house with the driveway, to my neighbor buying his house, and when I bought my house. Does my neighbor have legal grounds to make me move the meter especially if he bought the house like that?

Default Re: Does My Neighbor Have Legal Grounds to Make Me Move the Meters

Quote Quoting Junkxboxx
    View Post
    I purchased my house a few years later. The current neighbor is now demanding that I remove and relocate the meters claiming that it was done illegally. Keep in mind that all inspections passed, from the previous owner building the house with the driveway, to my neighbor buying his house, and when I bought my house.
    The neighbor's claim that the meters were installed illegally seems to conflict with your statement that the meters passed all inspections, which suggests that they conform to the applicable codes and thus are not installed illegally. Did your neighbor specify exactly why he thinks the meters are illegally installed?

Quote Quoting Junkxboxx
    View Post
    Does my neighbor have legal grounds to make me move the meter especially if he bought the house like that?
    He may complain to the relevant code enforcement office and if that office finds they are illegally installed you'll be ordered to make whatever changes are needed to make them comply with the rules. That might mean that they must be moved. If they are not there illegally then you won't be forced to move them by the code enforcement office. Assuming that your meters are on your property and are indeed properly installed then your neighbor really hasn't got anywhere else to go to get you to move them.

Thanks for your response. My neighbor claims it is illegal because it is on his property and that the only reason why it passed inspections were because a lot of things “pass” inspections. The meters are installed on a shared wall of a inner city row home. Since his house have a driveway, it is on his lot. My house sticks out more, so it is on my the shared wall that sticks out. However those meters were there before his house was even built and was there when he bought his house. Inspections all passed, but my neighbor just want it gone, citing that it is on his property although it wasn’t a problem when he bought it 6/7 years ago.

This is not an issue of the meters being installed illegally because of any code violation. This is an issue of whether or not they were installed on the neighbor's property. And even if they were, there would be nothing illegal about it. Your neighbor may have some civil cause of action to make you move them but IMO that would be highly unlikely.

The utilities (gas and electric companies) are the ones that determine if their meters are installed correctly. The location is usually determined by the builder or developer of the property. For the gas meter, local codes are used to inspect the gas plumbing in the house and up to the meter. Then the gas company will install the meter where the gas connection terminates outside of the house. The same is true for the electric company. The builder determines where the service drop will connect to the house and where the meter box will be. If the wiring in the house passes inspection then the electric co. will install the meter where the meter box was placed by the builder. The locations are determined by a collaboration between the builder and the utility.

The only way your neighbor could force you to move them would be by a court order and as I said that is unlikely. Local code enforcement has nothing much to do with the location once the building plans are approved. I would just ignore the demand unless and until you get sued. And when your neighbor finds out how much such a suit cost and how long it takes to resolve, he will probably drop the issue.

Quote Quoting Junkxboxx
    View Post
    Does my neighbor have legal grounds to make me move the meter especially if he bought the house like that?
    After all this time, probably not.

You are free to tune him out.

Thanks! What if I try to sell my house and he is essentially telling perspective buyers that the meters are there illegally and it needs to be resolved/moved before the house is sold?

Quote Quoting Junkxboxx
    View Post
    Thanks! What if I try to sell my house and he is essentially telling perspective buyers that the meters are there illegally and it needs to be resolved/moved before the house is sold?
    You can sue him for monetary damages as well as an injunction against the behavior based on "tortious interference."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tortious_interference

1. Sponsored Links