Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Please help! Should i do what my probation officer advised?

So I'm on probation for shop theft and I recently confessed to my PO that I have stolen something from a store and i didnt het caught! Now, she wants me to write a letter to the store,
    According to her, its a victim impact letter.

Does this have any consequence for me as I wasnt caught by the store,
    By writing a letter of apology, Does the store now have the rights to call the police on me?if there's gonna be consequences to the letter, i would rather disobey my probation officer! , Please help! If i shouldn't write, what should I do?
    I'm 19 years old this year. Please help!!

Can my probation officer do anything if I refuse?

Default Re: Please help! Should i do what my probation officer advised?

Did you take this something while you were already on probation? If so, the probation officer can violate you.

Could the store report the theft? Sure. Will they? Probably not as long as it wasn't something pricey.
    I am the Mouse Man

Depending on the store and the state involved, you might expect to get a civil demand letter.

Quote Quoting Katie200710
    View Post

I'm 19 years old this year.
    Explains why you didn't learn anything from your first conviction.

Write the letter. Accept whatever consequences that befall you. Maybe this time you'll figure out that crime doesn't pay, even little ones.

Does the PO want to see the letter before you send it?

Yes, she has specifically asked me to send her the letter on WhatsApp before sending it to the store

View Post
    So I'm on probation for shop theft and I recently confessed to my PO that I have stolen something from a store and i didnt het caught!
    SMH....

When did this separate crime of yours occur? While you have been on probation or before that?

View Post
    Does this have any consequence for me as I wasnt caught by the store,
    By writing a letter of apology, Does the store now have the rights to call the police on me?
    You writing the letter has nothing to do with the store owner's or manager's rights. I suspect that what you intended to ask was whether any such letter could be used as evidence against you in a criminal prosecution or civil lawsuit, and the answer to that question is yes. Of course, you apparently already confessed to this crime, so your PO's point might be that, if you don't write this letter, she'll report your admitted crime.

View Post
    Please help! If i shouldn't write, what should I do?
    I suggest you confer with an attorney immediately. Aside from the stupidity of the theft itself, telling your PO about it was unfathomably foolish, and I suggest you start learning to keep your mouth shut. Of course, if you stop committing crimes, you won't have much of anything to worry about.

View Post
    Yes, she has specifically asked me to send her the letter on WhatsApp before sending it to the store
    You should talk to your/a criminal defense lawyer. That letter will be a written admission of a crime.

Okay thanks so much! How should I go about talking to a criminal defense lawyer? And how is that going to help me? Since my PO is the one between me and the court, would getting a lawyer help the situation?

How does conferring with a attorney help in my case? Please elaborate more! Thank you so much!

How does conferring with an attorney help in my case? Thanks so much!

View Post
    Okay thanks so much! How should I go about talking to a criminal defense lawyer? And how is that going to help me? Since my PO is the one between me and the court, would getting a lawyer help the situation?

How does conferring with a attorney help in my case? Please elaborate more! Thank you so much!

How does conferring with an attorney help in my case? Thanks so much!
    No, your PO isn't the one between you and the court. The PO is a law enforcement officer just like the police. His duty is to uphold the law. You have already admitted a crime that could result in your probation being revoked and you being sent to jail. While he may be wanting to use this letter to teach you a lesson he may also be wanting to use it to cement your probation violation and get you convicted of another new crime.

A lawyer will try to keep you out of jail. You find one by looking in the phone book or searching "criminal Defense attorney YOUR TOWN and STATE".

By the way, what possessed you to admit to a crime to your PO?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast