Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Adult Son Rents Room in Parents House; Can Parent Tow Sons Car W/O Permission

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Michigan

My dad has been planning work to our driveway for a few weeks and let me know I'd need to move my car when they're ready to start.

I told him ok as long as he gives me at least 1 day notice and he agreed.

Today at 4pm he tells me they're coming at 8am tomorrow to start working and he's gonna tow my car if I don't move it, but I'm unavailable to move it because I already made other plans.

Does he have legal right to tow it?

The car is in my name. The house is in my parents name and my mom opposes him towing it.

Default Re: Adult Son Rents Room in Parents House; Can Parent Tow Sons Car W/O Permission

Quote Quoting MikeD81
    View Post
    My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Michigan

My dad has been planning work to our driveway for a few weeks and let me know I'd need to move my car when they're ready to start.

I told him ok as long as he gives me at least 1 day notice and he agreed.

Today at 4pm he tells me they're coming at 8am tomorrow to start working and he's gonna tow my car if I don't move it, but I'm unavailable to move it because I already made other plans.

Does he have legal right to tow it?

The car is in my name. The house is in my parents name and my mom opposes him towing it.
    In the amount of time it took you to google this site, join and post a thread you could have moved your car...so why didn't you? What is your plan that is so important that you can't take 3 min. to move your car?

Default Re: Adult Son Rents Room in Parents House; Can Parent Tow Sons Car W/O Permission

In fairness to the OP, he was already a member. He's posted here previously.

It's still a valid question.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    In fairness to the OP, he was already a member. He's posted here previously.

It's still a valid question.
    Yeah...I noticed that after I posted.

Quote Quoting just blue
    View Post
    In the amount of time it took you to google this site, join and post a thread you could have moved your car...so why didn't you? What is your plan that is so important that you can't take 3 min. to move your car?
    I'm not home smartass

Does anyone here know the law regarding this?

I'm not home
    Well, where are you that you don't have your car with you?

Did it never occur to you to leave a spare car key with your parents in case of emergencies?

Doesn't matter what the law says. If he actually does it you'll have to sue your own father after he does it.

I suggest you get home from wherever you are by 8 AM tomorrow.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Well, where are you that you don't have your car with you?

Did it never occur to you to leave a spare car key with your parents in case of emergencies?

Doesn't matter what the law says. If he actually does it you'll have to sue your own father after he does it.

I suggest you get home from wherever you are by 8 AM tomorrow.
    Do you want my address and social security number too?

It's none of your business where I am, nor is relevant. I told you I'm not able to get home and that's all is needed to know.

Now does anyone here actually know anything about the law? I'm not here to socialize or bicker. I'm just trying to learn my rights in this situation.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

The linked section applies to law enforcement.

In the OP's case, since it's not a place of public accommodation that would require posted signage, either written of verbal warning is sufficient, which is not to say that a LL can't give verbal or written notice of an impending towing.

In other words, you were notified that your car is going to be towed by the property owner. You'll know if he can at 0801.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting MikeD81
    View Post
    Do you want my address and social security number too?

It's none of your business where I am, nor is relevant. I told you I'm not able to get home and that's all is needed to know.

Now does anyone here actually know anything about the law? I'm not here to socialize or bicker. I'm just trying to learn my rights in this situation.
    As you want to act like an entitled little shit, go pay an attorney to advise you...by 7:59 tomorrow morning. The people that post here are volunteers and are not paid enough to put up with your demanding attitude.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast