Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: What Are My Chances of Winning a Lawsuit in This Case

Quote Quoting Hemispheres
    View Post
    I didn't get any pictures of anything at the hospital as my eyes were swollen shut. The officer however did get a photo of me after being cleaned up and before the stitching occurred. Im assuming that my lawyer can get access to all of that.
    Pardon me for saying, but do not assume anything. You are entering the 'Land of Oz.'

Reach out to the officer now and try to get a copy of his photos. There could be protocols where officers cannot cooperate with lawyers without legal inquires, where he could just forward those pics to you now.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    There could be protocols where officers cannot cooperate with lawyers without legal inquires, where he could just forward those pics to you now.
    If the cop can just hand over the pictures to the OP without legal process then the cop could do that after the OP gets a lawyer, too. There is nothing in Virginia law that restricts the cop from doing that. That's not to say he shouldn't go ahead and ask for it now; it's a good idea to ask for a copy now. However, if he doesn't get it now his lawyer can still get the photo later. The main risk of waiting is the possibility that the photo is destroyed if the cops don't need it any more. However, I'm going to guess the driver was charged for striking the OP, and if so, the photo will be used as evidence against the driver. In that case, they'll be keeping the photo at least until the prosecution runs its course.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    I highly disagree with this statement from a retired insurance claims adjuster. IOW, he's a bit biased in favor of insurance companies, not the injured.
    I don't have to defend myself to the likes of you but Hemispheres might be interested to know that I have no love for the insurance industry and have often helped injured people with inside information on how claims are handled. That's all I have to say. If Hemispheres wants some tips about claims he/she can message me.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    I don't have to defend myself to the likes of you but Hemispheres might be interested to know that I have no love for the insurance industry and have often helped injured people with inside information on how claims are handled. That's all I have to say. If Hemispheres wants some tips about claims he/she can message me.
    Everyone has a bias whether they admit it or not. Mine is against insurance companies and bad lawyers who pretend to be 'trial lawyers.'

Recommending that the OP independently file a claim and most likely speak on record with the insurance company is poor advice and highly favors the insurance company. Also, suggesting that a blunt-force head injury resulting in permanent facial scars can be settled in small claims court is further bad advice, IMO.

You have your opinion, experience and bias and I have mine...which makes for a more interesting forum. Wouldn't you say?

His insurance called this morning but I told them no comment until I retain a lawyer. I also did some searching online and decided to go with Lowell the Hammer Stanley. He and his firm have nothing but 5 star ratings across the board.

View Post
    My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Virginia

I was on my way to the bus station earlier today when I was struck in a crosswalk by a senile old man.

I stopped at the crosswalk, pressed the button to cross and waited. When the sign turned to the walk image I started making my way across. At this time the older man began pulling out to make a left hand turn.

As I continued walking he continued pulling out and turned. I thought he was going to creep across and wait for me to pass but no; as soon as I made eye contact with him he sped up and ran directly into me. Without skipping a beat he pulled over, got out of his car and told me that I can't walk in front of his car.

His car hit me left leg, I went airborne and landed on my head. Luckily a woman at the post office saw and told me to stay down and not to move. I was also less than a block away from the fire station and was witnessed by a fire fighter who alerted paramedics. They pulled up in the ambulance shortly after.

My CT scans and Xrays checked out but I needed 14 stitches above my right eye and the right side of my face is swollen.

The responding officer visited me in the hospital and said the old man was not at all remorseful and claimed I ran into his car on foot, however he interviewed witnesses which stated I was half way across the crosswalk when I was struck and there's damage to the drivers vehicle which is inconsistent with his story.

Can anybody tell me what my chances of winning a lawsuit would be?
    In a year, you might have a tiny scar that is barely noticeable if noticeable at all. The accident should not prevent you from working. So don't get too excited thinking about how much money you think you will receive.

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    In a year, you might have a tiny scar that is barely noticeable if noticeable at all. The accident should not prevent you from working. So don't get too excited thinking about how much money you think you will receive.
    I'm sure you'd be ok if someone T'd off a bat against your forehead, blackened both of your eyes, left your face permanently scared, and you said "don't worry, I'll be ok in a year."

Tell me, how did so many of you miserable types find this website? Was it KIA that formed this group?

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    I'm sure you'd be ok if someone T'd off a bat against your forehead, blackened both of your eyes and said "don't worry, you'll be ok in a year."

Tell me, how did so many of you miserable types find this website? Was it KIA that formed this group?
    I've got a mild concussion too, so the lawyer can go to the insurance company with TBI claims. My left leg is also twice the size of the right one.

I also contacted the police department and was told to call back in the morning to request a copy of the police report and photos.

View Post
    I've got a mild concussion too, so the lawyer can go to the insurance company with TBI claims. My left leg is also twice the size of the right one.
    While it is good to get going finding a lawyer and preserving evidence, you don't want to settle too early with the driver's insurance company. This accident just happened and quite often there can be additional injuries that are not apparent right away but show up a few weeks or more later. You want to have a good idea of the full extent of injury before settling with the insurance company. Your lawyer will advise you on that. And, it should go without saying but I'll say it anyway, get and keep copies of all the medical bills and related expenses that you get as a result of this injury. You don't want to leave something out of your claim.

Things just keep getting better. Spoke with the responding officer and the driver feels like he isn't at fault so now I get to testify in court next month.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast