Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Drag Racing Ticket but Given As Local Ordinance

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Illinois

I received a drag racing ticket tonight, but the officer told me he has written it up as a local ordinance ticket and must appear in court on October 9th. No speed, or speed zone was listed on the ticket only drag racing and the fact that I must appear in court. I have a couple of questions on how to deal with the situation.

1. What are possible offenses I can be receiving?
    2. what does it mean when he said he changed it to a local ordinance ticket?
    3. what is the possibility of applying for supervision or anything along those lines?
    4. what can I expect?

Default Re: Drag Racing Ticket but Given As Local Ordinance

1. What are possible offenses I can be receiving?
    It's a criminal offense and the state law was changed in January to increase penalties.

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilc...2500050K11-506

2. what does it mean when he said he changed it to a local ordinance ticket?
    There may be a local ordinance with lesser penalties. Look up your city or town ordinances and find the ordinance number written on your citation.

3. what is the possibility of applying for supervision or anything along those lines?
    Beats me.

4. what can I expect?
    Expect to pay a lawyer a thousand or two to get you out from under this. Without a lawyer you walk yourself right into a conviction.

Charging it as an ordinance violation is sweet. The worst they can do is fine you and send you to traffic school. If they had charged you with the state law violation you could be looking at jail time of 180 days. If conficted, a revokation of your license for a year is near guaranteed.

okay, thanks so much. I am already looking into getting a lawyer to help handle this situation I think my overall goal is to possibly get this removed from my record.

A lawyer isn't a bad idea, but ordinance violations aren't going to show up on either a driving or criminal record. The lawyer however can look at the prosecution evidence against you and see what can be done.

Thats good to know, thanks so much. helps me freak out a little less! glad to know this hopefully will blow over, in time! thanks again.

You might have taken the hint and provided the town and ordinance number on your ticket.

the city is carbondale IL, and the ordinance number is title 18, 18-5-3 Drag Racing.

18-5-3: DRAG RACING:
    It is unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle as a participant in drag racing. "Drag racing" means the act of two (2) or more individuals competing or racing on any street or highway in this city in a situation in which one of the motor vehicles is beside or to the rear of a motor vehicle operated by a competing driver and the one driver attempts to prevent the competing driver from passing or overtaking, either by acceleration or maneuver, or one or more individuals competing in a race against time on any street or highway in this city. (Ord. 2015-29)

18-1-2: PENALTIES:
    Unless specifically provided otherwise, any person who violates any provision of this title shall be subject to a fine of not less than twenty five dollars ($25.00) nor more than seven hundred fifty dollars ($750.00). (Ord. 2015-29)

A resident should always be familiar with all of his city ordinances so here's Carbondale's.

https colon double forward slash codelibrary dot amlegal dot com forward slash codes forward slash carbondaleil forward slash latest forward slash overview

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast