Default What Will Happen if I Runaway to Ne at the Age of 18

Iím from NY where the legal age is 18. I plan to run away to NE to live with my girlfriend and her parents while Iím 18. The legal age in NE is 19. If anyone from my family back at home finds out where I am and tries getting me back, even though I donít want to, can the police in NE send me back to NY? Iím not sure how it works over there. And would my girlfriendís parents get into any sort of legal trouble for harboring a runaway? I havenít done anything illegal, Iím not a criminal of any sort, so that is not why I want to run away from NY. If anyone has any definite answers, thatíd be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: What Will Happen if I Runaway to Ne at the Age of 18

Quote Quoting rhoc
    View Post
    I’m from NY where the legal age is 18. I plan to run away to NE to live with my girlfriend and her parents while I’m 18. The legal age in NE is 19. If anyone from my family back at home finds out where I am and tries getting me back, even though I don’t want to, can the police in NE send me back to NY? I’m not sure how it works over there. And would my girlfriend’s parents get into any sort of legal trouble for harboring a runaway? I haven’t done anything illegal, I’m not a criminal of any sort, so that is not why I want to run away from NY. If anyone has any definite answers, that’d be greatly appreciated!
    You are 18 and an adult in NY. You are free to decide to move to any state you wish, including Nebraska. NY can't require you to return to NY and would not ask Nebraska to do so. As far as NY is concerned, you're not a run away child. And Nebraska won't bother attempting to send you back to NY if your parents ask them do because, again, as soon as you are out of Nebraska you're free to go where you want anyway. You're not a run away kid. And having once lived in Nebraska, while the age of majority is technically 19, once you are 18 in that state you are pretty much treated as an adult for most every purpose. The one thing that may pose a difficulty for you is entering into contracts, but you can work around that.

Default Re: What Will Happen if I Runaway to Ne at the Age of 18

Agree with TM. There is no "running away" in your situation. You would be legally moving to Nebraska.

1. Sponsored Links