Cool Title a 28 Year Car when Owner Deceaseed More Than 10 Years

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: South Carolina

My problem:
    I live in South Carolina.
    I am trying to title a 1992 Honda (28 yrs) that belonged to my Mother (deceased 2004 Ė 16 yrs). I have a copy of her will that names me executor of estate. I also had power of atty while she was alive.
    The DMV tells me that probate court needs to assign title to me. Probate court says they canít help because death occurred more than 10 years ago and car is valued at $500 or less.
    I can, however, receive a registration / ownership document from the state of Vermont. (Along with valid license plates), where I can take these to the DMV / title office in SC to exchange for a title issued to my name, in South Carolina, for $80.
    Is this the only option for me?

Default Re: Title a 28 Year Car when Owner Deceaseed More Than 10 Years

Sounds like an easy way out. What other options do you think there are? You're not going to save any money by reopening probate just to get the title in your name.

Default Re: Title a 28 Year Car when Owner Deceaseed More Than 10 Years

Quote Quoting jDuck
    View Post
    I have a copy of her will that names me executor of estate.
    You only have a copy? Where's the original? Also, a will may nominate a person to serve as executor, but that person is not actually the executor until appointed as such by the probate court. Were you actually appointed by the probate court? If so, why didn't you take car of this issue back then?

Quote Quoting jDuck
    View Post
    I also had power of atty while she was alive.
    Doesn't matter. The power of attorney died with her.

Quote Quoting jDuck
    View Post
    I can, however, receive a registration / ownership document from the state of Vermont. (Along with valid license plates), where I can take these to the DMV / title office in SC to exchange for a title issued to my name, in South Carolina, for $80.
    Is this the only option for me?
    Unlikely, and I'm also highly skeptical about your Vermont plan, but for a car that's worth less than $500, I'm uncertain why this is worth hassling with.

1. Sponsored Links