Default Moving Out of State with My Child

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: CT
    Can I move my 15 year old out of state away from her father? I have been waiting a long time to move. He's only ever seen her 4-8 hours a week.

Default Re: Moving Out of State with My Child

Quote Quoting Daddyzlildefect
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: CT
    Can I move my 15 year old out of state away from her father? I have been waiting a long time to move. He's only ever seen her 4-8 hours a week.
    Maybe. Either her father will have to agree that you can relocate her, or the courts will need to give you permission if he does not. If you get him to agree, you need to get him to put it in writing. It is too risky otherwise. Seriously, he could end up with primary custody of your mutual child if you don't go about it the right way.

Are you presently married to the father?
    Were you ever married to the father?
    If you were never married to the father, was his paternity ever established? If so, how was it established?
    Is there a divorce decree or custody/visitation order in place? If so, what does it say about either parent moving with the child?
    Have you discussed your desire to move with the father? If not, why not? If so, what was the result?
    Where are you seeking to move and why?

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Either her father will have to agree that you can relocate her, or the courts will need to give you permission if he does not.
    That's not necessarily true. We don't have enough information.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Are you presently married to the father?
    Were you ever married to the father?
    If you were never married to the father, was his paternity ever established? If so, how was it established?
    Is there a divorce decree or custody/visitation order in place? If so, what does it say about either parent moving with the child?
    Have you discussed your desire to move with the father? If not, why not? If so, what was the result?
    Where are you seeking to move and why?

That's not necessarily true. We don't have enough information.
    Yes it is. In all states these days there are default rules for relocating children that apply. Even if paternity has not been established a putative father can rush to court in a relocation scenario.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Yes it is. In all states these days there are default rules for relocating children that apply. Even if paternity has not been established a putative father can rush to court in a relocation scenario.
    If the mother and alleged father were never married and paternity has never been established, the mother may legally go anywhere she likes with the child without need for the alleged father's agreement or permission from a court. If the parents are married and no divorce is pending, either parent may legally take the child anywhere he/she likes without the need for the other parent's agreement or permission from a court. If you have Connecticut authority that says otherwise (since that's the state that's relevant to this thread), please cite it. That the other parent "can rush to court" doesn't change any of this.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    If the mother and alleged father were never married and paternity has never been established, the mother may legally go anywhere she likes with the child without need for the alleged father's agreement or permission from a court. If the parents are married and no divorce is pending, either parent may legally take the child anywhere he/she likes without the need for the other parent's agreement or permission from a court. If you have Connecticut authority that says otherwise (since that's the state that's relevant to this thread), please cite it. That the other parent "can rush to court" doesn't change any of this.
    It does from a practical standpoint. While the custodial parent can do whatever they like if no father has been established, the last thing that someone would want to do is to move to another state, and then get ordered to return the child to the original home state, which is a very big risk if you don't have the permission of the father or the court. In any case, the following is useful reading for the OP:

https://www.jud.ct.gov/lawlib/Notebo...Relocation.PDF

1. Sponsored Links