Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Can I Move Out

Im 17 my boyfriend is 20 we've been dating for 4 years this year we want to move in together because my mom is extremely abusive I dont feel safe What should I d

Default Re: Can I Move Out

You do not name your state. and state law varies.

There is no state where the age of majority is less than 18 and in some states it is older. If you want anything else meaningful you're going to have to tell us where you are.

Quote Quoting neazisa
    View Post
    Im 17 my boyfriend is 20 we've been dating for 4 years this year we want to move in together because my mom is extremely abusive I dont feel safe What should I d
    How close are to age 18 are you and in what state do you live?

I meant to say Im turning 17 in november i stay in south carolina were not moving in together until after I turn 17 he just turned 20 I really need to leave because i dont feel safe at all She kicks and punches me at times like if im not moving fast enough or if i say yes mam or if my siblings do sum she even pulled my hair till where it almost came out I cant tell her how I feel she doesnt listen at one point she had beaten me so bad till the point i couldnt recognize myself I tried contacting the police and support but they said as long as I have water food and shelter I should be grateful This is not first time this happen right now were staying in a hotel because it always been a man before us I have a job im financially stable I take care of myself because she charges me just to buy little things like soap This is not the first she threatening to kill me she says it multiple time

If you are being abused you call the authorities. You cannot move out of the house without parental permission until you are 18.

Not 17.

I already tried they dont help

That does not change the law. Until you are 18, not 17 but 18, you are legally under the care and control of your parents and they say where you live. If they say you can move out, you can move out. If they say you can't move out, then you can't move out. If you move out anyway, they can come and get you and make you come home. Your circumstances don't change that.

You need to call EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Or tell a trusted adult - teacher, counselor, religious advisor.

But while I know you would like me to say that the law will make an exception for you because of your circumstance and that you can move out and live with your boyfriend, the legal reality is that until you are 18 it won't and you can't. If the state finds that your living situation is such that you need to be removed from the home, they will remove you and they will put you in foster care or a group home or with another relative. (The state will not let you live with your boyfriend either.)

If they don't think the circumstances warrant removing you, then your parents make the decision.

Quote Quoting neazisa
    View Post
    I meant to say Im turning 17 in november i stay in south carolina were not moving in together until after I turn 17 he just turned 20 I really need to leave because i dont feel safe at all She kicks and punches me at times like if im not moving fast enough or if i say yes mam or if my siblings do sum she even pulled my hair till where it almost came out I cant tell her how I feel she doesnt listen at one point she had beaten me so bad till the point i couldnt recognize myself I tried contacting the police and support but they said as long as I have water food and shelter I should be grateful This is not first time this happen right now were staying in a hotel because it always been a man before us I have a job im financially stable I take care of myself because she charges me just to buy little things like soap This is not the first she threatening to kill me she says it multiple time
    When you are being abused/threatened then the thing to do is contact either the police or the child protective services agency. SC is apparently not a state that allows for emancipation prior to reaching the age of majority at 18 other than by getting married. However, to get married you'd need the consent of your parents. And it's not a good idea to marry just to get out from under the control of your parents.

I will get married before I let anyone kill me or abused me

They dont help every time i call it gets worse im not staying nowhere just to get abused Ill run away and explained why I left they dont help they dont care I got to live for myself Im sorry

You do realize that you need parental permission to get married, right?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast