Default Employer and Covid 19 Temperature Taking

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Minnesota

(I post this query here as there doesn't seem to be a precise category for this topic.)

Can my employer make it mandatory that we employees have our temperature taken before beginning each work day due to COVID 19? I work for a retailer. If you refuse to have your temperature taken and answer their questions, you can not work that day.

We must report to a certain part of the building, sanitize our hands, clock in on a computer terminal, and have our temperature taken with an infrared forehead thermometer. We must also answer some questions such as, do you have diarrhea, have you experienced a temperature since you last worked, and some others that could be indicative of being sick.

This temperature taking ,question asking daily ritual is conducted by employees with no medical training, or degree or certificate such as a nurse, nursing assistant, medic, etc. If you are running a fever or answer yes to their questions, they are authorized to send you home and you are paid for the day. If I understand correctly, you must not work for 3 days before returning to work. I donít know if you must then get tested for COVID 19 under these circumstances.

Due to health issues and conditions, I take my own temperature each day and I also have an oximeter that I use numerous times a day. If I have a fever or oximeter isnít giving favorable readings, or have any suspicious symptoms, I will be off to Urgent Care immediately, as being infected with COVID 19 could be fatal to me.

In this state everyone is required to wear a mask in public, and we employees must wear one while in building. However, no masks are on in the break room and there is no social distancing there, or in restrooms. I know of at least 3 employees who have been off of work for 2 weeks with COVID 19.

Does anyone know if they can force one to do this temperature thing? I have issues with this entire scenario and prefer to take care of this at home.

Default Re: Employer and Covid 19 Temperature Taking

Quote Quoting mrtenebrae
    View Post
    My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Minnesota

(I post this query here as there doesn't seem to be a precise category for this topic.)

Can my employer make it mandatory that we employees have our temperature taken before beginning each work day due to COVID 19? I work for a retailer. If you refuse to have your temperature taken and answer their questions, you can not work that day.

We must report to a certain part of the building, sanitize our hands, clock in on a computer terminal, and have our temperature taken with an infrared forehead thermometer. We must also answer some questions such as, do you have diarrhea, have you experienced a temperature since you last worked, and some others that could be indicative of being sick.

This temperature taking ,question asking daily ritual is conducted by employees with no medical training, or degree or certificate such as a nurse, nursing assistant, medic, etc. If you are running a fever or answer yes to their questions, they are authorized to send you home and you are paid for the day. If I understand correctly, you must not work for 3 days before returning to work. I don’t know if you must then get tested for COVID 19 under these circumstances.

Due to health issues and conditions, I take my own temperature each day and I also have an oximeter that I use numerous times a day. If I have a fever or oximeter isn’t giving favorable readings, or have any suspicious symptoms, I will be off to Urgent Care immediately, as being infected with COVID 19 could be fatal to me.

In this state everyone is required to wear a mask in public, and we employees must wear one while in building. However, no masks are on in the break room and there is no social distancing there, or in restrooms. I know of at least 3 employees who have been off of work for 2 weeks with COVID 19.

Does anyone know if they can force one to do this temperature thing? I have issues with this entire scenario and prefer to take care of this at home.
    Yes, they can force you to do the temperature thing. They are not required to trust you that you don't have a fever.

As far as the breakroom is concerned. People eat and drink in the breakroom, you can't wear a mask and eat and drink at the same time.

Quote Quoting mrtenebrae
    View Post

Does anyone know if they can force one to do this temperature thing?
    If you define "force" as being fired for not complying then, yes, the employer can "force" you to comply.

Quote Quoting mrtenebrae
    View Post

I have issues with this entire scenario
    It appears from your previous posts that you have issues with a lot of things, primarily with authority. Are you one of those sovereign citizens?

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    If you define "force" as being fired for not complying then, yes, the employer can "force" you to comply.

It appears from your previous posts that you have issues with a lot of things, primarily with authority. Are you one of those sovereign citizens?
    I just read through all of his previous threads. I think that the bolded is an unfair characterization. I do not see this poster as having any particular problem with authority. I see him having a lack of trust where his employer is concerned (and if his employer is the one that I think it is, its probably fair for there to be a lack of trust).

Other than that, he has had legitimate issues where he needed advice.

Thank you so much for your unbiased and nonjudgmental response llworking!

I've learned over the years that, when participating in various internet forums and venues, to extract the best out of the message and ignore the rest, including nasty or facetious remarks.

I'm not about to discuss my Curriculum Vitae on a public forum for assorted reasons. And also, more than likely open myself up to unfounded statements and judgments from certain others. (I can only imagine the inner satisfaction it gives a certain element when they get a response.) But, if the poster knew me in real life he would know I have several degrees and my career "job" required an enormous amount of respect for authority, and that was never an issue for me. Except, when the authority figure(s) abuse their power and inflict their abuse upon me or others. It has happened.

In actuality I have a profound respect for authority and expect the same from them for me. My first responsibility in the work force is to ensure the company I work for is obeying and observing the law. If for no other reason than to protect myself from a scoundrel authority figure setting me up for termination, or a lawsuit. Yes, they can have or create cause or reason to file a suit on an employee. And, unjust terminations happen all of the time. Of course the consumers have the right to expect the businesses they patronize are observing laws of this country.

I left my career job to pursue a masters in the other degree I have. I needed some income and took a part-time job while going to school. I developed a serious health problem I did not bring on myself or wish upon myself. It became a matter of working full-time to support myself & pay medical expenses, or become homeless and complete the degree. Other health problems developed. I am stuck now.

I think we are both on the same page as to who my employer is. Some of the employees selected to take our temperatures leave much to be desired in the intelligence department. Those infrared head thermometers are not always reliable. I would prefer to be tested daily by someone with a degree or certificate in healthcare. Heaven knows they can afford to have someone on board to do this.

1. Sponsored Links