Hybrid View

Default New Mexico Gun Rights

My question involves civil rights in the State of: New Mexico. Hi all I recently got a case expunged in New Mexico the judge honored it. My question is can I go hunting the district attorney stated it will show up on the FBI Background as well as the expungement. He told me to do research or option a lawyer. Any suggestions

Default Re: New Mexico Gun Rights

Quote Quoting berry1411
    View Post
    My question is can I go hunting the district attorney
    That would be a terrible idea.

What sort of case did you get expunged? Felony or misdemeanor? What was the specific crime of which you were convicted? What does "the judge honored it" mean?

The FBI has nothing to do with it. First, you have to explain just what 'case' was expunged. Was this a conviction for a felony or a misdemeanor of domestic violence. Was this a expungement under the fairly recent CREA or was it due to a deferred sentence or similar program?

Quote Quoting berry1411
    View Post
    My question involves civil rights in the State of: New Mexico. Hi all I recently got a case expunged in New Mexico the judge honored it. My question is can I go hunting the district attorney stated it will show up on the FBI Background as well as the expungement. He told me to do research or option a lawyer. Any suggestions
    This was a felony in 1999 aggravated assault

This law came in to affect as of January of this year in New Mexico for expungement

The expungement rules in your situation do not restore gun rights. If you're eligible under the other (twelve year) rule, then that may be your relief. If NM considers you legal, so will the feds as far as the 18USC922(g) stuff. However, you're still likely to get delayed, if not outright denied, in NICS checks.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    The expungement rules in your situation do not restore gun rights. If you're eligible under the other (twelve year) rule, then that may be your relief. If NM considers you legal, so will the feds as far as the 18USC922(g) stuff. However, you're still likely to get delayed, if not outright denied, in NICS checks.
    How do I find out if I am under the other 12 year rule? I thought being that the case was expunged would allow me to be able to be around fire arms not purchase but be able to handle a fire arm. I know there is so many loop holes itís crazy. I figured the case was expunged and sealed that I wouldnít have a record show up itís interesting. I appreciate all the feed back

Expunction just hides the record, it doesn't change the fact that you lost your rights. When was the last date you were in prison or subject to probation?

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Expunction just hides the record, it doesn't change the fact that you lost your rights. When was the last date you were in prison or subject to probation?
    I got out in 2003 served 2 years ended probation 2008

1. Sponsored Links