Default Other Parent Won't Pay Court Ordered Portions

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Washington

First off, let me say that I am not meaning to flood this board with my own issues.

My child was injured. They went to the Dr and was prescribed medication. The other parents insurance did not cover it at all, mine covered most of it. I then asked the other parent to pay their portion of the meds, but the other parent said that I should have gone to a pharmacy where their insurance was accepted and they refused to pay for their portion of meds. I tried to explain that it wasn't because of the pharmacy, but rather the medicine that was prescribed and their insurance didn't cover.

Anyways, what course can I take as a result of the other parent not paying their court ordered portion?

Is it a lot? No, not at all. But it shouldn't be about the amount and instead about the point that the other parent is not willing to pay

Default Re: Other Parent Won't Pay Court Ordered Portions

What does your custody agreement say about medical bills?

If the other parent is in contempt of the divorce decree/custody order, your recourse is to seek to have him/her held in contempt.

That's great, thank you. Yes, the official court papers that we are each responsible for our income established portion of some charges, one of which is medical expenses.

What should I expect as a result of being found in contempt?

I have a question.

Why didn't you use a pharmacy that her insurance would cover?

Of course, great question! As I explained to the other parent, it wasn't the case of the pharmacy not accepting the insurance but it was that the insurance company didn't cover the type of medication it was. The other parent's insurance was covered by the pharmacy, but the insurance didn't cover Tylenol with codeine which was the medicine prescribed. Regardless of which pharmacy I would have gone to, the meds would not have been covered

My physicians will prescribe an alternate if their first choice is not on the formulary. Did you bother to check the formulary yourself to see if there was an error in determining coverage? Also, as I recall, the cost of this med is not that great; you cost to file for contempt for this one item is likely to be more than simply paying for the drug yourself. Wait until it is cost effective to file. If this is a consistent problem, the two of you should compare health care options available to each of you; it may be beneficial to revisit which parent provides the insurance coverage or the plan choice.

BTW, you do not earn brownie points with other parent by referring to the child as "my" rather than "our" child. You are the one who wanted to make a "point" out of the problem. You can certainly file for contempt and create conflict rather than agreeing next time to check the formulary before committing the other parent to uncovered drug costs.

OKisNotOK, you do not earn brownie points when saying "your" physicians. They are physicians hired for the use of anyone who goes into that medical center.

Yes, that is how you sound. I said "my child" because it would have been awkward to say "A child that I am part of parenting, but is genetically half mine" in introduction

Quote Quoting spokanedriver
    View Post
    OKisNotOK, you do not earn brownie points when saying "your" physicians. They are physicians hired for the use of anyone who goes into that medical center.

Yes, that is how you sound. I said "my child" because it would have been awkward to say "A child that I am part of parenting, but is genetically half mine" in introduction
    There are certain people who think that parents should never say "my child" but should always say "our child". I personally think that saying "our child" when the other parent is not physically present is just awkward and weird, but that isn't how those people happen to view things.

1. Sponsored Links