Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Being Harassed, Need to Break Lease

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: michigan

I recently rented a house in a not so great neighborhood. I havent even moved in yet and the neighbor, who is a 65 year old woman, is harassing us. She flatly told us not to move in. We returned today to move some items into the house and there was a junk vehicle in our driveway, garbage all over the fromt yard, and a couch that had been thrown over the fence from the neighbors property into our backyard.
    I contacted my rental company and they are saying to call the police etc, but im sure they will do nothing, even if they talk to the woman im sure the situation will just escalate to slashes tires or worse.
    My rental company hasnt said weather they will let us out of the lease.
    My understanding is that harassment/safety concerns is grounds to break a lease.
    What are my options? I have told the rental company they can keep my deposit and first months rent and that we just want to leave.

Default Re: Being Harassed, Need to Break Lease

Your understanding is by and large wrong. The provision for "safety" is limited to items that make the property itself fail to meet the habitability standards. There is no general provision providing for an escape for "harassment." The only ones that apply are is the landlord himself is harassing you or that you are the victim of stalking, domestic violence, or sexual assault.

The landlord is by and large not responsible for obnoxious neighbors.

The good news is that the landlord is obligated to try and rent the property to someone else, and you're only obligated to pay for the loss of rent until a new tenant is found.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Your understanding is by and large wrong. The provision for "safety" is limited to items that make the property itself fail to meet the habitability standards. There is no general provision providing for an escape for "harassment." The only ones that apply are is the landlord himself is harassing you or that you are the victim of stalking, domestic violence, or sexual assault.

The landlord is by and large not responsible for obnoxious neighbors.

The good news is that the landlord is obligated to try and rent the property to someone else, and you're only obligated to pay for the loss of rent until a new tenant is found.
    But this is a case of stalking and potential violence.

I would demand all my money back and not listen to a word of objection from the landlord/owner. If they refused to return it all, then let a judge decide. A property must be safe to live in, which this property can be proven not to be.

You should take a lot of photos and maybe even video of encounters with this person. Having the video and photo evidence might be all it takes to make the landlord back down...knowing that evidence can be presented to a judge.

Intimidation and preparation is nine-tenths of the law.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    But this is a case of stalking and potential violence.
    Not by anyone the landlord has any power over.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Not by anyone the landlord has any power over.
    So what! The landlord could easily be discovered as having knowledge of this bad, violent neighbor and locked the new tenant in anyway.

If you cannot do that type of concealing while selling a property, it's likely you cannot do that renting one either. But if you would roll over if this happened to you, so be it. Others likely want to know what a courageous person would do. Not what a wimp would do.

I love how you add things to the OP just so you can give a different answer than everyone else. The OP asked what she can do within the law. And other than your yapping that is what she should get in a forum called Expertlaw.com.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    I love how you add things to the OP just so you can give a different answer than everyone else. The OP asked what she can do within the law. And other than your yapping that is what she should get in a forum called Expertlaw.com.
    Everyone else? Only one person posted before me...and you offered nothing.

The common theme of everyone who comes here being screwed gets old. Why don't you try to help someone for once, instead of being a 24/7 troll?

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    Everyone else? Only one person posted before me...and you offered nothing.

The common theme of everyone who comes here being screwed gets old. Why don't you try to help someone for once, instead of being a 24/7 troll?
    I'd have more time to give good advice if I didn't have to spend time trying to correct your bad advice.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    I'd have more time to give good advice if I didn't have to spend time trying to correct your bad advice.
    Ok, I'm waiting. Let's hear it?

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    Ok, I'm waiting. Let's hear it?
    I have to agree with PayrolGuy. You reference disclosure requirements in a real estate transaction as the basis for your point of view on this issue but as a real estate agent and landlord in the state of MI, the disclosure form asks no questions with regards to the behavior of neighbors. Agents and landlords are not required to provide any sort of warnings about the neighbors. While I agree that the original poster is in a tough spot, if I were her landlord, I would give the same advice her landlord already has, to call the police and make a report and also call the city about the condition of the neighbors yard. Unfortunately, the situation as described is not enough to break the lease.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast