Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Being Harassed, Need to Break Lease

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    I already did.

A simple call to the cops would make that law fully applicable.
    As a real estate agent I am VERY CAREFUL about what I say. When a potential buyer or tenants asks me about the neighborhood, I tell them straight out I do not make any assumptions, suggestions or provide guidance on the safety or quality of a neighborhood. There are websites for that. I suggest they drive through at different hours of the day and make their own conclusion. That's a slippery slope for me to engage in such conversation. AND There is always 2 sides to every story so I if I didn't witness what the OP is stating and there is no police report, as a landlord cannot I take a side nor is it my job to do so.

AND nothing stops them from meeting the neighbors before buying or signing a lease.

Quote Quoting JenniN
    View Post
    As a real estate agent I am VERY CAREFUL about what I say. When a potential buyer or tenants asks me about the neighborhood, I tell them straight out I do not make any assumptions, suggestions or provide guidance on the safety or quality of a neighborhood. There are websites for that. I suggest they drive through at different hours of the day and make their own conclusion. That's a slippery slope for me to engage in such conversation. AND There is always 2 sides to every story so I if I didn't witness what the OP is stating and there is no police report, as a landlord cannot I take a side nor is it my job to do so.

AND nothing stops them from meeting the neighbors before buying or signing a lease.
    So if you knew your previous tenant got he crap beat out of them by this nutcase or that debris was being thrown over the fence every night, you wouldn't tell them, would you? You'd tell them that they can do their own homework. Nice!

But, I'm still waiting for your explanation on 'Rights of Retention?' and how they apply to this OP?

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    So if you knew your previous tenant got he crap beat out of them by this nutcase or that debris was being thrown over the fence every night, you wouldn't tell them, would you? You'd tell them that they can do their own homework. Nice!

But, I'm still waiting for your explanation on 'Rights of Retention?' and how they apply to this OP?

Nevermind, you are right. And whatever irrelevant scenario you come up with next, you’re right about that too.

Quote Quoting JenniN
    View Post
    Nevermind, you are right. And whatever irrelevant scenario you come up with next, you’re right about that too.
    I'll take that as you know nothing about 'Rights of Retention' or the law I posted. But you'd be happy to snatch up the OP's $1,600.

Sorry, I don't have a high opinion of realtors, just as you might have a low opinion of contractors.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    I'll take that as you know nothing about 'Rights of Retention' or the law I posted. But you'd be happy to snatch up the OP's $1,600.

Sorry, I don't have a high opinion of realtors, just as you might have a low opinion of contractors.
    On the contrary, reputable contractors are great!

To respond to your statement about “right of retention” you’d have to restate specifically what MICHIGAN law you are referring to. But honestly there’s no value in discussing hypothetical scenarios. It doesn’t help the OP because no one got their “ass beat” not does she mention a previous tenant getting their “ass beat”.

Quote Quoting JenniN
    View Post
    On the contrary, reputable contractors are great!
    Reputable 'anybody' is great! But as you know, self-employed folks like us do not have bosses and their income is not steady, which can lead to ethical problems.

I've known good realtors and I do lot of work for a broker. They are out there and I hope you are one of them. But by avoiding my question about 'Right of Retention' and that law I posted, my senses are up.

Quote Quoting JenniN
    View Post
    To respond to your statement about “right of retention” you’d have to restate specifically what MICHIGAN law you are referring to. But honestly there’s no value in discussing hypothetical scenarios. It doesn’t help the OP because no one got their “ass beat” not does she mention a previous tenant getting their “ass beat”.
    Really, it is that hypothetical to think that the owner and property management company knows nothing about the nutcase that resides next door? He acted in a very aggressive, illegal fashion before they even moved in. I'd ask "What happened to the previous tenant? Care to give me their phone number?"

That property management company would not have gotten my $1,600. But like I said, I'm a fighter and most folks aren't.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    Reputable 'anybody' is great! But as you know, self-employed folks like us do not have bosses and their income is not steady, which can lead to ethical problems.

I've known good realtors and I do lot of work for a broker. They are out there and I hope you are one of them. But by avoiding my question about 'Right of Retention' and that law I posted, my senses are up.

Really, it is that hypothetical to think that the owner and property management company knows nothing about the nutcase that resides next door? He acted in a very aggressive, illegal fashion before they even moved in. I'd ask "What happened to the previous tenant? Care to give me their phone number?"

That property management company would not have gotten my $1,600. But like I said, I'm a fighter and most folks aren't.
    Yes it is hypothetical. For example, I just bought another sfh rental. My 14th sfh. I’ve only owned it 2 months. Had my contractor go in, remodel and I’m actively showing to Potential tenants for last 2 days. I have no idea what the neighbors are like and don’t spend any significant amount of time there. Landlords are not required to get to know the neighbors. Most don’t have time.

Again, if you want to point me directly to this “right of retention” law that you speak of, then I’d be happy to answer. But I did not go back to reread all the different scenarios you mentioned as they really have nothing to do with what the OP posted.

Quote Quoting JenniN
    View Post
    Yes it is hypothetical. For example, I just bought another sfh rental. My 14th sfh. I’ve only owned it 2 months. Had my contractor go in, remodel and I’m actively showing to Potential tenants for last 2 days. I have no idea what the neighbors are like and don’t spend any significant amount of time there. Landlords are not required to get to know the neighbors. Most don’t have time.

Again, if you want to point me directly to this “right of retention” law that you speak of, then I’d be happy to answer. But I did not go back to reread all the different scenarios you mentioned as they really have nothing to do with what the OP posted.
    If one of your tenants moved out because there was an active crack-house next door, tell me you would not disclose that to the new tenants? That you'd leave it up to the new tenants to deal with, like the OP's landlord likely did, rather than you clean up your own dirty laundry.

It's a case of ethics vs. the dollar, and we know which one usually loses.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    If one of your tenants moved out because there was an active crack-house next door, tell me you would not disclose that to the new tenants? That you'd leave it up to the new tenants to deal with, like the OP's landlord likely did, rather than you clean up your own dirty laundry.

It's a case of ethics vs. the dollar, and we know which one usually loses.
    When did the OP mention a crack house? Again, you can come up with hypotheticals all day. Still doesn’t change the OP’s situation which doesn’t apply to any of the scenarios you are throwing out there.

Quote Quoting Chickenman0710
    View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: michigan

I recently rented a house in a not so great neighborhood. I havent even moved in yet and the neighbor, who is a 65 year old woman, is harassing us. She flatly told us not to move in. We returned today to move some items into the house and there was a junk vehicle in our driveway, garbage all over the fromt yard, and a couch that had been thrown over the fence from the neighbors property into our backyard.
    I contacted my rental company and they are saying to call the police etc, but im sure they will do nothing, even if they talk to the woman im sure the situation will just escalate to slashes tires or worse.
    My rental company hasnt said weather they will let us out of the lease.
    My understanding is that harassment/safety concerns is grounds to break a lease.
    What are my options? I have told the rental company they can keep my deposit and first months rent and that we just want to leave.
    To get back to your original questions. Call the police again and tell them that someone has abandoned a car in your driveway and ask them to have it towed away. Tell the landlord that he has to get the couch out of the back yard, and have the garbage cleaned out of the front yard. Be insistent about it with both the police and the landlord.

Obviously the 65 year old woman is not the person who put the couch over the fence. See if you can find out who else lives in the home. Even if you don't stay in the home, I would still call the police and ask that the abandoned car be towed.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast