Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: Being Harassed, Need to Break Lease

For future readers of this discussion. With the exception of Harold99, the members that have replied are some of the most knowledgeable and experienced members here. I am glad everything worked out for you.

With all due respect for the OP I am glad you feel good about the outcome, but losing that kind of money under those conditions was not necessary. Of course they will let you out with that kind of offer.

Speaking of knowledge and experience, my wife is a licensed real estate agent and has been writing leases for wireless companies for thirty years. She says the OP had renters rights, as the law read, and that the OP hosed himself.

Not everyone is a fighter...especially many here.

Yeah i can see your point, "hosing myself out" and all..however, 1600 bucks lost now, to me, is a better option than potentially being sued for 12 months rent plus yard maintaince and an eviction on my credit report. And sure, i could probably win in court, after paying a lawyer thousands of dollars, not to mention the headache. And if i lost i would be out the lawyers fees, the 12 months rent, and have my credit ruined. 1600 to be free and clear seems well worth it. I dont feel like ive "hosed mysel out" but thanks for your opinion.

Quote Quoting Chickenman0710
    View Post
    Yeah i can see your point, "hosing myself out" and all..however, 1600 bucks lost now, to me, is a better option than potentially being sued for 12 months rent plus yard maintaince and an eviction on my credit report. And sure, i could probably win in court, after paying a lawyer thousands of dollars, not to mention the headache. And if i lost i would be out the lawyers fees, the 12 months rent, and have my credit ruined. 1600 to be free and clear seems well worth it. I dont feel like ive "hosed mysel out" but thanks for your opinion.
    Did you argue your position to the property management company or owner and show them the law? If not, who would refuse $1,600 if it was just handed to them?

They made off and did you no favors, IMO. But then I am a fighter and most people are not.

There are two things to avoid in life, fear and trust. You feared that they could potentially do you harm and you trusted that they were doing you a favor. But they manipulated you.

Quote Quoting Chickenman0710
    View Post
    I think your take on this is dead on. In my experience, when there is a dispute with a tenant and we both look at the situation fairly, I ask them to flip the scenario and ask themselves how they would view the situation if the roles were reversed. As a result, we are usually able to come to an amicable agreement.

Good luck to you!

Quote Quoting JenniN
    View Post
    Unfortunately, the situation as described is not enough to break the lease.
    Then as a real estate agent and landlord please explain in detail 'Rights of Retention' or the law I posted earlier, and, whether you'd explain them to a potential tenant in this situation? If a lease does not include that language it doesn't mean they don't' apply.

It's easy to say something is a 'good deal' when it is in your favor.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    Did you argue your position to the property management company or owner and show them the law? If not, who would refuse $1,600 if it was just handed to them?

They made off and did you no favors, IMO. But then I am a fighter and most people are not.

There are two things to avoid in life, fear and trust. You feared that they could potentially do you harm and you trusted that they were doing you a favor. But they manipulated you.

What law??

Quote Quoting JenniN
    View Post
    I think your take on this is dead on. In my experience, when there is a dispute with a tenant and we both look at the situation fairly, I ask them to flip the scenario and ask themselves how they would view the situation if the roles were reversed. As a result, we are usually able to come to an amicable agreement.
    The property management company and the owner of the property likely know that a violent criminal lives next door to their property. This isn't their first rodeo and it is grounds to break a lease. To take the person's money anyway is unethical and likely not supported by law. The property owner should be adversely effected by that neighbor, not a tenant that never took occupancy.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    The property management company and the owner of the property likely know that a violent criminal lives next door to their property. This isn't their first rodeo and it is grounds to break a lease. To take the person's money anyway is unethical and likely not supported by law. The property owner should be adversely effected by that neighbor, not a tenant that never took occupancy.
    Please cite the law.

Quote Quoting lill
    View Post
    Please cite the law.
    I already did.

A simple call to the cops would make that law fully applicable.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast