Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Daughter Moving to New Hampshire from Ny. Insurance and Registration

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: NH
    Daughter got a job in MA(near NH border) , currently working remotely at home in NY. She is moving to NH in Sept and will be commuting to work.
    She is currently listed on my insurance policy, the car she currently drives, is titled and registered in my name here in NY.

She is taking this car with her temporarily. Her plan is to get her a more newer, more reliable car, within the first 2 months of moving along with her own insurance. I will notify insurance as soon as she moves there since she is taking car temporarily. I'll be getting the car back.
    Can/should she get her own policy first before moving? Or Can/should she get her own policy and registration on my car she is using?

I just want to make sure we do it by the book, and not take any chance, while at the same time, not waste money on registering a vehicle I'm getting back.
    Any suggestions?

Default Re: Daughter Moving to New Hampshire from Ny. Insurance and Registration

The car is insured under your policy. Make sure you name her as an insured driver on your policy now before she leaves. When she buys her own car she can get her own insurance.

Default Re: Daughter Moving to New Hampshire from Ny. Insurance and Registration

Yep, give all the information to you insurance agent (or company if they direct sell). Nearly all can write the appropriate policy for what you want. The car will have to be registered/titled and insured for where it is "garaged."

She is moving to NH in Sept and will be commuting to work. Her plan is to get her a more newer, more reliable car, within the first 2 months of moving along with her own insurance.
    She will have 60 days from the move to get a NH driver license, register and title a vehicle. Then she will have to get her own insurance that conforms to NH insurance laws.

See:

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/...dent/index.htm

Make sure you notify your insurance when the car relocates.

I think that you should talk to your agent. The car is only going to be in NH temporarily and is allowed to be there without registering it there for 60 days. Since 60 days is the amount of time she plans for, then I don't think that you should be telling your agent that the car is being relocated to NH, but rather explain to your agent that it's going to be in NH temporarily for 60 days and ask if there is anything specific that needs to be done.

Temporarily has a bad habit of becoming extended. The good news is NH doesn't mandate liability insurance. The bad news if he wants to protect his daughter and himself from liability, he'd better make sure his policy applies. I suspect she's already had the car in MA for a while.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    The bad news if he wants to protect his daughter and himself from liability, he'd better make sure his policy applies.
    Right. I've seen the bad news hundreds of times in the claims department.

Quote Quoting tiktek
    View Post

I just want to make sure we do it by the book, and not take any chance, while at the same time, not waste money on registering a vehicle I'm getting back.
    Sorry, you can't have it both ways.

Get your policy endorsed to show the car located in NH. "Endorsed" means the insurance underwriter issues a piece of paper that you attach to your policy that says that the insurance company is OK with where the car is located.

If your insurance won't do it, then she gets her own where she is going.

Don't take bad advice about fudging. Don't rely on what your insurance agent might tell you about it being OK. He'll deny saying it when the SHTF. Get it on paper. The bad things happen to the people who say "Oh, nothing will go wrong if I fudge a little just this once.

I'll definitely give them a call and explain it to them. We have geico so hopefully they will Endorse it.

I definitely don't want to fudge anything. It's not worth the risk and I need to do it right. In the end she will be getting her NH drivers license, buying a different car in her own name and have her own insurance policy. We made a couple overnight trips there moving stuff during past few weeks and checking out the area, but she won't officially be moving until Sept 1,
    So assuming Geico will endorse my policy, which she is already listed as driver of the vehicle she is taking temporarily, we she'll have up to 60 days to get NH license, a new policy on her own, and a different car?

I'm really pushing her to get a different, more reliable car asap when she gets there but, f she doesn't. I'm assuming the car she is taking which currently is titled and registered my name would have to be signed over to her as new owner, before she can register it in NH?

Whether you sign it over to her or not is up to you. You likely can give her a POA to title/register the car in NH without actually giving up ownership.

Thanks, one final question.
    Since NH has no sales tax, if she were to find a used car at a dealership here in NY before she officially moved, is there anyway to just register/get insurance it in NH? Would NY issue temp plate to get it there? If so how? , and would she still have to pay NY sales tax? It would just be easier for me since I'll be with her when she buys something, and I rather be here if we find something decent. But on a approx $13k used car, paying NY sales tax wouldn't make sense since it will shortly end up in NH.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast