Default Cash Purchase and Credit Report

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: CA

Purchasing a car from CA. I love the car and want to receive it ASAP via shipping that I pre-arranged. I am out of state.
    On cash, paid in full (credit card + wire) immediately.
    Dealer asked me to sign various online credit related forms that I repeatedly many times refused, speaking with various personal at dealership about the issue and my objections.
    I have sent all legitimate required items, Driver license, SS#, Insurance, all items requested, except I have forcefully pushed dealer back on various extra information items their online website mandated like info on my credit obligations, home mortgage, employment etc, etc.
    Dealer stated identity authorization is required otherwise deal will not go through, provided me link to a simplified online app. I consented.
    Upon completion, it told me thank you for completing 'credit' application. I protested on that notification.
    Dealer insisted that they will mail me forms that I need to sign in ink and get notarized and to send back, or they will not release vehicle.
    I received forms. To my chagrin, one was my credit report and asked me to sign my credit report. I signed it and put 'shame on you. I do not and did not consent'.
    A few forms were fully appropriate, however, most were to me very in-appropriate. They had strong legal statements (requiring notarized signatures) like I am willingly signing and readily consent to the vehicle being "financed". I crossed out in-appropriate sections best I could and send packet back.

I am now stuck. I risk the dealer cancelling my deal. I want the car, but dealer (in my view) is totally un-fair. To me this is violation of my privacy.
    Question 1: Are there consumer laws that protect my right to: a) purchase the vehicle, b) without further delay, c) the dealer not forcing me to sign what I perceive totally in-appropriate papers.
    Question 2: What if the dealer does not accept the forms (where I crossed out items and stated I do not consent).
    Question 3: What if the dealer to teach a lesson for my standing up for my rights, does not respond to me on time, and I keep waiting and waiting, wasting my time, as well incurring expenses in connection to shipping.

Default Re: Cash Purchase and Credit Report

Am I reading this correctly that you paid for the car in full WITHOUT agreeing on the terms of the deal?

1. No.

2. We have no way of knowing, and this question does not raise any legal issue. Ask the dealer.

3. What does "on time" mean, and why would you incur "expenses in connection to shipping" if the deal hasn't been finalized?

Quote Quoting melts05
    View Post

I am now stuck. I risk the dealer cancelling my deal. I want the car, but dealer (in my view) is totally un-fair. To me this is violation of my privacy.
    Question 1: Are there consumer laws that protect my right to: a) purchase the vehicle, b) without further delay, c) the dealer not forcing me to sign what I perceive totally in-appropriate papers.
    Question 2: What if the dealer does not accept the forms (where I crossed out items and stated I do not consent).
    Question 3: What if the dealer to teach a lesson for my standing up for my rights, does not respond to me on time, and I keep waiting and waiting, wasting my time, as well incurring expenses in connection to shipping.
    What if? Too, too, too bad. That you are going along with all this under protest is meaningless. You're going along with it. That's what counts. If you don't like what the dealer is doing, walk away from the deal. Otherwise you can rant all you want but it isn't going to matter.

Funny you should post this at this time. Yesterday I bought a 2020 Challenger and paid in full with a cashier's check for over $26,000. I had to sign a crapload of BS forms that were probably designed to cover the dealer's bureaucratic butt. I even filled out the top of a credit application, left out my SS number and crossed out the rest of the form. Mildly annoying that the process took 3 people to handle. But nothing that got my nose out of joint.

I have to tell you, sonny, (yeah, I'm an old guy) that you are making a mountain out of a molehill and over reacting to beat the band. Chill out. Nobody's doing anything wrong to you. Nobody's violating your rights. Nothing you can ever do will ever teach a car dealer a "lesson."

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post

Funny you should post this at this time. Yesterday I bought a 2020 Challenger and paid in full with a cashier's check for over $26,000. I had to sign a crapload of BS forms that were probably designed to cover the dealer's bureaucratic butt. I even filled out the top of a credit application, left out my SS number and crossed out the rest of the form. Mildly annoying that the process took 3 people to handle. But nothing that got my nose out of joint.
    ok, so this is comforting to know that this is normal. You also went along with it, quite exactly as I did, with the exception that you refused to provide SS#. (I provided it, since I was able to verify that under Patriot Act, to avoid Money laundering, dealers are obligated to report 10k+ cash purchases to IRS, even though in my home state, a dealer had not requested it from me a year back)
    Well better to post this, know ones rights, whether the situation is dangerous or the norm, before its all too late and it would turn crying over spilt milk.

The sales rep made a point to say that my SS wasn't necessary, without me saying anything about it, though I left it blank. Truth be told, there is probably enough information available on me in cyberspace that the IRS would have no trouble finding me if I was thought to be laundering money.

Full disclosure. I wanted the damned car as much as you did and probably would have caved if the SS number was a deal breaker.

I wish you good fortune with yours.

Thanks.

1. Sponsored Links