Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Daughter Moving to New Hampshire from Ny. Insurance and Registration

Quote Quoting tiktek
    View Post
    Thanks, one final question.
    Since NH has no sales tax, if she were to find a used car at a dealership here in NY before she officially moved, is there anyway to just register/get insurance it in NH? Would NY issue temp plate to get it there? If so how? , and would she still have to pay NY sales tax? It would just be easier for me since I'll be with her when she buys something, and I rather be here if we find something decent. But on a approx $13k used car, paying NY sales tax wouldn't make sense since it will shortly end up in NH.
    This should answer that question better than anything.

https://www.mass.gov/letter-ruling/l...a-non-resident

Default Re: Daughter Moving to New Hampshire from Ny. Insurance and Registration

What on earth does Massachusetts law have to do with it?

If the car is delivered in NY, regardless of where the buyer actually legally resides, then the NY Sales Tax is due. You might be able to convince a New York dealer to deliver the car in NH and if she has establisehd residency there it might escape the tax. However, she probably would do better buying in NH. There are a lot of dealers especially close to the MA border.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    What on earth does Massachusetts law have to do with it?
    I have no idea why I looked up MA instead of NY.

If she buys a car from a dealership in NY then they will issue her an in-transit temp registration.

Quote Quoting Highwayman
    View Post
    If she buys a car from a dealership in NY then they will issue her an in-transit temp registration.
    That only covers the registration. If you are a bona fide out of state resident, you can apply for an exemption if you intend to take the car out of state.
    https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/st/dtf803.pdf

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2