Default Is the Buyer (Me) at Fault or Under Penalty for Title Jumping

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: CA

First off, I KNOW I AM AN IDIOT for buying the vehicle. I did not realize this practice was illegal until after the fact. If I knew I would have never touched the damn thing. I stupidly purchased a vehicle from a person who had the title to the vehicle but it was in the name of the person they bought it from. The registered owner signed the document but the person I bought it from did NOT sign the buyer information. I was told that "Just fill in your buyer info and date of sale whenever you get the chance to go to the DMV."

I just want to know if I'm at fault for buying the vehicle, if there are any penalties for me as a buyer. I did some research and other states have you pay a fine if you purchased it this way. There wasn't anything I could find for California specifically.

I'm beating myself up about it and I need some help, if you have any ideas please do so.

Default Re: Is the Buyer (Me) at Fault or Under Penalty for Title Jumping

Most of the sanctions are on the seller (both the original person on the title and especially the intermediary who is committing tax fraud). The ultimate buyer's issue is that he may find he's not meeting the requirements for actually transferring the title in his name and needs action by the name on the title, which may be impossible to get.

So, at this point, the only real thing you can do is go to the DMV with your title (and hopefully you got a smog certificate as well) and hope they accept it.
    If not, you'll have to go after the person who "sold" you the car. Write back if you need help.

Quote Quoting non_expert
    View Post

I'm beating myself up about it and I need some help, if you have any ideas please do so.
    No need to anticipate trouble where there might not be an.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    No need to anticipate trouble where there might not be an.
    But if there IS trouble I'd want to know if I'm legally responsible. That's the kicker. I sent in the paperwork online via California's Virtual DMV website. If it clears I will update and if it doesn't I will update as well. I'd like some concrete legal advice if possible from anyone that can help.

If you want concrete legal advice, you'll need to contact a lawyer. This site can not provide such.

The DMV (or any other government agency) is not going to come after you if your documentation shows a title jump. The worst thing they'll do is not allow you to title and register the car. Then, you would be in trouble if you drove it. As stated, the biggest risk is that you're stuck with an unusable vehicle unless you can track down what you need to resolve the title issue.

If you can track down the original seller and ask him to fill out the title as you as the buyer and you agree to pay the sales tax and fees to obtain a new title, you can ignore the middle man.

1. Sponsored Links