Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How to Id Someone

My question involves criminal law for the state of: CA. Even if someone doesnít have a valid license plate or a car there,but he/she is in front of his/her house how easily can the person be tracked down? Assuming thereís a picture to id said person. Letís say also after an hour or two? Iíve heard of people being tracked down by license plate and picture id but how possible is it with just a picture id if the person is at their house or a house for a few hours and not somewhere like a public park?

Default Re: How to Id Someone

I'm not quite sure what you are asking but it wouldn't matter if you were in a public park or standing in a driveway. In today's world face recognition technology that is widely used by law enforcement can identify someone from a picture or video if your picture is any database such as a photo ID or driver's license or passport photo.

In today's world, face recognition technology that is widely used by law enforcement can misdentify someone from a picture or video if your picture is any database such as a photo ID or driver's license or passport photo.
    Fixed that for you. Facial recognition is going to be shown to be one of those junk sciences along with hair identification.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Fixed that for you. Facial recognition is going to be shown to be one of those junk sciences along with hair identification.
    Hair contains DNA so it's not a junk science.

Neither is facial recognition. A computer can search through thousands of fingerprints in minutes, same with facial photos in a database though the clarity of the photo might be in question.

At any rate, facial recognition, DNA, and fingerprints are only some of the elements of any criminal investigation.

Facial recognition may be in its infancy but so were fingerprinting and DNA long ago.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    I don't think so. Facebook was using it for a while but have backed off due to backlash. They face ID'd me once in a photo where I was just in the frame of a group of people I didn't even know.

I was referring to the analysis of the shaft which has been at times (now been disproven) as a means of specific identification. It can only be shown to be a match with broad classes of people with similar hair.

But you're in general wrong anyway. HAIR does not contain DNA. If you've ripped out some of the follicle, then you may have some DNA to work with.
    Facial recognition may be in its infancy
    Perhaps, but I'm talking about as it exists today. Even the proponents of it, put it even at a lower level than probable cause. It may give you some suspects to look further with, but it has no basis as evidence.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    I don't think so. Facebook was using it for a while but have backed off due to backlash. They face ID'd me once in a photo where I was just in the frame of a group of people I didn't even know.
    I think we're agreeing. I inserted "Mis" in front of identified in Bud's post.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Wait canít you identify someone based on a picture? Especially if there is something like a license? What exactly did you mean by misidentify.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post

Neither is facial recognition. A computer can search through thousands of fingerprints in minutes, same with facial photos in a database though the clarity of the photo might be in question.

At any rate, facial recognition, DNA, and fingerprints are only some of the elements of any criminal investigation.

Facial recognition may be in its infancy but so were fingerprinting and DNA long ago.
    So if you were to be in front of a house how much easier would that be to become identified? Like would the police search the address find who lives there and ask questions?

I read a story about a guy who was arrested because a facial recognition algorithm picked him out based on surveillance photo that was submitted to it. He looked almost nothing like the guy they were looking for and no one in law enforcement cared/bothered to compare them before arresting him. He was black. The facial recognition algorithms, as they stand today, aren't that great with non-caucasian subjects
    I am the Mouse Man

Quote Quoting drillhammer
    View Post
    Wait can’t you identify someone based on a picture? Especially if there is something like a license? What exactly did you mean by misidentify.
    Because they frequently identify people who are unrelated to the person who they claim to identify. Automatic identification isn't even good enough to support "probable cause." It might indicate somene you wish to investigate further. A study shows that running a lot of faces (typically famous people like politicians) against a sample of criminal suspects yields a laughable amount of false positives.]

If the OP would provide a little detail as to the situation that has occurred/that s/he is afraid will occur and why s/he thinks someone will be looking to identify him/her or alternately, who s/he is trying to identify, perhaps we would be able to provide some meaningful input.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources