Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Default Re: Neighbors A/C Unit on My Property

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    ...You rephrase what I said to try to make me sound ridiculous.
    You don't need our help with that.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    I never said that pulling a permit "does not matter."
    Yes, actually you did.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    Nobody has to get a permit to do anything around their house. They get one if they choose to or if they get caught. But I would estimate that 90% of jobs that the city would like you to get a permit for, do not. I just GC'd and was a sub on two $200K remodels that did not pull permits.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    I said that it is up to the homeowner, not the contractor.
    Then why does the state sanction contractors who do work without a permit?

https://www.cslb.ca.gov/Consumers/Fi...inary%20action

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    You don't need our help with that.

Yes, actually you did.

Then why does the state sanction contractors who do work without a permit?
    You get all your information from the internet, which you seem to think is irrefutable and absolute. I get mine from experience, which you seem to think is less than real. What a world we live in now where anonymous people think they are someone to be listened to.

And BTW - All money spent on a job is up to the customer, not me. So you go on and spend that extra $500 and pull that permit to change-out a water heater because you read it on the internet.

Also, what does "or if they get caught" mean? Seems to me that it clearly states that there is a law that the city can point to. It does not mean "you cannot get caught because there is no law." And there you go misstating what I wrote. So yes, a person can go 40mph in a 35 zone all they want until the unlikely chance they get cited.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

You are ridiculous and you need no help from anyone here on that score.

You can go on about how things work in Harold's "real world", and to a degree, you're correct. In many states and municipalities you may get a slap on the wrist for not pulling permits but the consequences can be serious, exceedingly so. Additionally, work may have to be removed if performed without a permit regardless of whether or not in conforms to current codes. It happens and contractors can get burned in this process.

While the homeowner may be able to pull a permit for work a contractor is to perform work a contractor is obligated to have that permit. Not only does that permit and associated inspections protect the homeowner it also protects the contractor.

On a business related, by having violations on your record, as a contractor, it can affect your ability to get work. Permitting costs are generally included during the proposal stage and are a reasonable included cost in an estimate.

Finally, people come here with questions about the law and we provide answers based on the law. Your jaundiced perspective that runs contrary to the law is not helpful.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    You are ridiculous and you need no help from anyone here on that score.

You can go on about how things work in Harold's "real world", and to a degree, you're correct. In many states and municipalities you may get a slap on the wrist for not pulling permits but the consequences can be serious, exceedingly so. Additionally, work may have to be removed if performed without a permit regardless of whether or not in conforms to current codes. It happens and contractors can get burned in this process.

While the homeowner may be able to pull a permit for work a contractor is to perform work a contractor is obligated to have that permit. Not only does that permit and associated inspections protect the homeowner it also protects the contractor.

On a business related, by having violations on your record, as a contractor, it can affect your ability to get work. Permitting costs are generally included during the proposal stage and are a reasonable included cost in an estimate.

Finally, people come here with questions about the law and we provide answers based on the law. Your jaundiced perspective that runs contrary to the law is not helpful.
    Wow, we finally agree on something.

The rest though, when a subject such as this is spoken about in such broad generalities, anything is possible.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    Wow, we finally agree on something.

The rest though, when a subject such as this is spoken about in such broad generalities, anything is possible.
    You and I have a agreed on a few things, generally revolving around cycling.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    You get all your information from the internet, which you seem to think is irrefutable and absolute. I get mine from experience, which you seem to think is less than real. What a world we live in now where anonymous people think they are someone to be listened to.

And BTW - All money spent on a job is up to the customer, not me. So you go on and spend that extra $500 and pull that permit to change-out a water heater because you read it on the internet.

Also, what does "or if they get caught" mean? Seems to me that it clearly states that there is a law that the city can point to. It does not mean "you cannot get caught because there is no law." And there you go misstating what I wrote. So yes, a person can go 40mph in a 35 zone all they want until the unlikely chance they get cited.
    I get info from the internet because that is where the info is located. And the link I listed was from the website that licensed you if you are actually a GC in California.

As far as "all money spent on a job being up to the customer" then you need to build that permit fee into your price because it will be you not the customer that pays when the agency finds you or suspends your licence.

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    You and I have a agreed on a few things, generally revolving around cycling.
    Yes we have, sorry about that.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    I get info from the internet...
    ...And mine comes from experience. To each his own.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    Yes we have, sorry about that.

...And mine comes from experience. To each his own.
    So are you saying the information from the agency that licensed you is wrong? Please tell me how it is wrong and you might want to call them as well.

For the record nobody here is interested in what you have gotten away with nor will we generally tell others to do something that is illegal because they will probably get away with it. That would be wrong and not the purpose of this forum.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    So are you saying the information from the agency that licensed you is wrong? Please tell me how it is wrong and you might want to call them as well.

For the record nobody here is interested in what you have gotten away with nor will we generally tell others to do something that is illegal because they will probably get away with it. That would be wrong and not the purpose of this forum.
    Only a psychiatrist would know why you and a few others post on this forum, but it is not to help people in need. Even I can make that diagnosis.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    Only a psychiatrist would know why you and a few others post on this forum, but it is not to help people in need. Even I can make that diagnosis.
    So no response to my post other than what amounts to name-calling.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5