Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Neighbors A/C Unit on My Property

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    You did not initially say that I am required to get permits.
    Sure I did you just ignored it. You brag about doing $200k jobs without permits. And I responded:
    Then you broke the law in not obtaining permits and that may well come back on you someday
    You have to be licensed in CA if that is where you work. If you are licensed (and I am beginning to think you are not) it will only take one complaint to the CSLB to get your license revoked for preforming work without proper permits. And if you are not licensed, and get caught doing work or even advertising for work you could have criminal charges pressed.

So which is it? Are you a licensed contractor or not? I can't imagine that you are and put your license in jeopardy by doing non-permitted work. You probable are one of those fly-by-night guys that works out of the back of a pick-up truck.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    I get my information from vetted, qualified sources, which nobody on this site is.
    I was in the construction business for over 45 years before I retired. I was licensed in both NJ and NY. You have reveled yourself as someone who doesn't know the licensing laws or the requirements to obtain permits and what the ramification are for doing non-permitted work.
    Stick that up your vetted and qualified sources backside.

You are a foney. Anyone that runs a legitimate business knows the law and regulations governing it. You do not.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

once again, an OP's post becomes the Harold show.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    once again, an OP's post becomes the Harold show.
    One plus. We got proof that Harrold doesn't even know the law in his alleged own industry.

Why is it nearly all of you guys enjoy exaggerating, misleading, scaring and putting people down? I would like to hear a phycologist explain what makes you guys tick. Can you find a link on that?

point, set, match.

Your question should be what makes you tick.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    Why is it nearly all of you guys enjoy exaggerating, misleading, scaring and putting people down? I would like to hear a phycologist explain what makes you guys tick. Can you find a link on that?

Harold, I am going to say this once and once only. We do not contradict people who give accurate advice. We do not exaggerate, we do not mislead, and the only people we put down are the ones who consistently give inaccurate information and refuse to back down. You give us no choice but to do so, because we have to make sure that people don't take your horribly inaccurate advice. Not pulling permits can put someone in dire financial straights. It was horribly irresponsible of you to suggest that, even if you believe that people get away with it a lot.

I could suggest a lot of things to people on these forums about taxes. Things that they might be able to get away with since the IRS cannot review or audit every tax return. I don't do that because not only would that be horribly irresponsible, but it would violate the ethics regulations.

Quote Quoting just-some-guy
    View Post
    My question involves real estate located in the State of: Illinois, will co, lockport.

my neighbor, who has been trying to steal 5' of my property since i moved in, it was that way when i moved in. i have a survey, say .7' from his house(foundation). his a/c unit is on my land here. i want it removed for various reasons. please advice. i know i can get a lawyer, but i don't have money for that.

thanx
    What would be the cost to have someone move it? You say you don't have money for a lawyer, maybe he does not have the money to hire out.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Harold, I am going to say this once and once only. We do not contradict people who give accurate advice.
    I did not say that you contradict people. Also, what makes you so qualified to determine what is accurate advice? When a few others here agree with you?

We do not exaggerate, we do not mislead, and the only people we put down are the ones who consistently give inaccurate information and refuse to back down.
    You know that is false because you see the frontline guys bash on people all the time. If not, open your eyes.

You give us no choice but to do so, because we have to make sure that people don't take your horribly inaccurate advice. Not pulling permits can put someone in dire financial straights. It was horribly irresponsible of you to suggest that, even if you believe that people get away with it a lot.
    Do you even know what happens when a city finds a job being performed without pulling a permit? How could you? Well, I do know because I was once caught about fifteen years ago and I hear of homeowners getting caught from time to time...and the contractor losing his contractors license does not happen! It also does not put a person in "dire financial straights" unless the work being performed is not being done to current building codes. So bud's advice is exaggerated and misleading...at least in my state it is.

Pulling a permit is a decision the homeowner makes. It is the responsibility of a licensed contractor to tell the homeowner when a permit is required by the city and what the building codes are. After that, if they do not want to get a permit they can decide whether to take the very rare chance of being caught. And when they are caught, as I've seen many times, they just go down and pull one. It may include a small fine which would be a few hundred bucks. But the contractor does not lose his license for following the direction of the customer.

Licensed contractors have a lot of responsibilities like notifying customers of current building codes and handling money properly. But we are not required to walk away from a job when a homeowners does not want to pull a permit.

I could suggest a lot of things to people on these forums about taxes. Things that they might be able to get away with since the IRS cannot review or audit every tax return. I don't do that because not only would that be horribly irresponsible, but it would violate the ethics regulations.
    I highly doubt that you could get in trouble for telling a client that the 'red flag' limit for charitable contribution is $500. Also, I highly doubt that if the client wanted to put down $1,000 without any receipts that you would refuse to do it or that you could be held liable. Same with me. If they want non-permited work or work that does not meet building code, I can do it without any risk to my license.

The other BS advice was Bud telling folks that insurance (mine or the client's) will not pay if a permit was not pulled. Pure BS!

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    Your question should be what makes you tick.
    I can tell you. Getting upset when I watch people screw with the naive or those in trouble.

Quote Quoting Harold99
    View Post
    Do you even know what happens when a city finds a job being performed without pulling a permit? How could you? Well, I do know because I was once caught about fifteen years ago and I hear of homeowners getting caught from time to time...and the contractor losing his contractors license does not happen! It also does not put a person in "dire financial straights" unless the work being performed is not being done to current building codes. So bud's advice is exaggerated and misleading...at least in my state it is.

Pulling a permit is a decision the homeowner makes. It is the responsibility of a licensed contractor to tell the homeowner when a permit is required by the city and what the building codes are. After that, if they do not want to get a permit they can decide whether to take the very rare chance of being caught. And when they are caught, as I've seen many times, they just go down and pull one. It may include a small fine which would be a few hundred bucks. But the contractor does not lose his license for following the direction of the customer.

Licensed contractors have a lot of responsibilities like notifying customers of current building codes and handling money properly. But we are not required to walk away from a job when a homeowners does not want to pull a permit.
    You can ignore the laws and regulations all you want yourself but to tell people that it doesn't matter if you get a permit or not is just BS. It's against the law to do construction or improvements, or electrical, plumbing, mechanical work without permits.

California:

Contractors who violate the law are subject to disciplinary action by CSLB, including civil penalty assessments of up to $5,000 per violation, an order of correction that requires payment of permit fees and any assessed penalties imposed by the local building department, and suspension or revocation of the license.
    Either the homeowner or a licensed contractor can obtain the necessary permits. However, licensed contractors who fail to obtain a permit, or check that the homeowner has done so before construction, violate contractors' license law. The CSLB is mandated to levy fines and penalties of up to $5,000 per violation and, for serious or repeated violations, may suspend or revoke the contractor's license. The board may also issue an order of correction. This requires the contractor to procure the permits and pay the penalties imposed by the local building department.
    I'm not making this up and I'm not exaggerating. It is you that are making sh*t up and trying to convince people that it's true that they don't need permits.

Look up the law for contractors in Westchester County, NY and see what they do if they catch someone working without a license or with a license but no permits.

If you passed the written tests for codes and contractor business law, and you had $1M in liability insurance and a host of other requirements, you got your license. They gave you a bumper sticker for your truck and a placard for your windshield. The inspectors would stop and check if they saw any construction going on and look for the bumper sticker. If you were not licensed, they would have your truck and equipment impounded right then and there. No permits? The same thing would happen.

Then you had to go to court to get them back. Don't believe me? Here is a link for you:

https://consumer.westchestergov.com/...e,-impound-law

Then there are the federal regulations for contractors that I am positive you have no knowledge of. So look up the EPA RRP regulations.

https://www.epa.gov/lead/lead-renova...inting-program

The point is that states are getting more strict on consumer protection from guys like you and sooner or later it will catch up to you. And you will pay.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    You can ignore the laws and regulations all you want yourself but to tell people that it doesn't matter if you get a permit or not is just BS. It's against the law to do construction or improvements, or electrical, plumbing, mechanical work without permits.
    This is how you operate here. You rephrase what I said to try to make me sound ridiculous. I never said that pulling a permit "does not matter." I said that it is up to the homeowner, not the contractor. I also said that as long as everything is being done to code the ramifications for not pulling a permit are minimal. I do not know what contractors do in your state but I highly doubt that every water heater change-out is pulling a permit.

I'm not making this up and I'm not exaggerating. It is you that are making sh*t up and trying to convince people that it's true that they don't need permits.
    Again, I never said "they do not need permits." I said it is up to the homeowner and that they take the risk, not the contractor in CA. As said, it our responsibility to inform them of building codes.

If you cannot understand what I am saying here, them you probably don't understand what is happening in your own state.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast