Question Working Off the Clock

Let me first preface this by saying that I live in Georgia (I feel that might be mildly important to the conversation), and the problem is not one that I am facing directly but rather one that my girlfriend is facing at her new job.

So my girlfriend (who I am just going to refer to as meg for the sake of convenience) recently got hired at a retail store in the area, and she told me that they are required to stay and do some small tasks after they have already clocked out, that didn't sound right to me, so I decided to ask a little further and this is essentially what she told me:

They get to work and have to do a temperature check before they clock in (seemed pretty standard, especially in these times), then they do their jobs, take their break (they only get one the way the managers schedule them, kind of scummy, but not illegal) and finally when it's time to close, they all go to the backroom together and clock out at the same time. After they clock out then they are aloud to get their stuff from their lockers, and after that they all have to exit the store together (in order to prevent stealing), and this all sounds fine and good, until she told me that if their manager or supervisor see's something that needs to be done, they have to do it before they can leave (puting carts away, wiping a counter off, putting up something tha, etc.). After they have all left the store and the manager/supervisor has locked the doors and armed the alarm, they have to wait there for 5-10 minutes until they hear confirmation that the alarm has been armed, then they can leave.

The time they spend working or having to stay off the clock is minimal, it's still there, and they are not allowed to leave until it has been completed, and I didn't know if this was illegal, and if it was illegal what we could do about it?

Default Re: Working Off the Clock

She reports it to the GA Dept. of Labor or the US DOL.

She and her friends are being illegally screwed out of a quarter hour's pay.

She and her friends should all file a group wage complaint with the state. All of them doing it will provide some protection against retaliation. If only one does it, one is likely to be out of a job. Not right away, but after enough time has passed so that there will be no proof that it's related.

Shady employers know how to be shady when somebody turns them in.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    She and her friends are being illegally screwed out of a quarter hour's pay.

She and her friends should all file a group wage complaint with the state. All of them doing it will provide some protection against retaliation. If only one does it, one is likely to be out of a job. Not right away, but after enough time has passed so that there will be no proof that it's related.

Shady employers know how to be shady when somebody turns them in.
    I agree. Its also really weird that it takes 5-10 minutes for a confirmation that the alarm has been armed. I have never known any system that didn't confirm immediately.

This might not be so much of a shady employer as an ignorant manager/shift manager.

The GA DOL has been described as a post office box where no one picks up the mail.

They might be better to go through the US DOL, or see if a local attorney whom they consult as a group thinks small claims would be appropriate.

1. Sponsored Links