Default Caught a Felony “concealing Deadly Weapon” Charge (Brass Knuckles)

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Las Vegas Nevada . i was J Walking & Randomly a Cop Pulls Up behind me & stops me . He gave me a ticket then searched my backpack, i had a half pocket nife/brass knuckles novelty item in there & he charged me for a Felony. Not gross misdemeanor a Felony . I spent about 3days in jail then released on OR (Own Recognizance) i have court soon. What am i looking at ? What should i do . I have no money for a lawyer & have a new born baby boy. Also what do i do if i got into an argument with my mother she calls the cops, i leave before they get there to cool off, & i find a paper from the police that says DV Domestic V . I never talked to any officers or anything i just came back home . What do i do ? Please I need Help i have court soon

Default Re: Caught a Felony “concealing Deadly Weapon” Charge (Brass Knuckles)

Quote Quoting JayMartinez94
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: Las Vegas Nevada . i was J Walking & Randomly a Cop Pulls Up behind me & stops me . He gave me a ticket then searched my backpack, i had a half pocket nife/brass knuckles novelty item in there & he charged me for a Felony. Not gross misdemeanor a Felony . I spent about 3days in jail then released on OR (Own Recognizance) i have court soon. What am i looking at ? What should i do . I have no money for a lawyer & have a new born baby boy. Also what do i do if i got into an argument with my mother she calls the cops, i leave before they get there to cool off, & i find a paper from the police that says DV Domestic V . I never talked to any officers or anything i just came back home . What do i do ? Please I need Help i have court soon
    When you were araigned you should have asked for an public defender. You NEED to do that now.

Clark County Public Defenders Office
    309 S. Third Street
    PO BOX 552610
    Las Vegas, NV 89155-2610
    Phone: (702) 455-4685
    Fax: (702) 455-5112

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

View Post
    You can request an attorney and if you meet the financial requirements you will be appointed and attorney.

What was the actual citation?

Why did the cop stop you? Why did he search your bag? Did he ask or was it while in connection to you being arrested?

Is the possession charge and your being stopped in connection the DV incident that you're referring to? Did you brandish the knuckles?

There is a lot of missing information here but you're at least potentially guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable with up to a year in jail and/or $2000 fine.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

You shouldn't have been charged with the felony version unless you had priors. But it doesn't matter, either charge is EXTREMELY serious.
    Given how you are charged with a felony, I suspect you're to appear in district court and the link PayrollGuy will help you get an attorney. Most likely they'll request a continuance so they have time to prepare your case. As Mark points out, there are details missing. It would be unlikely that a search of your possessions is obligatory for a jaywalking citation.

View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: Las Vegas Nevada . i was J Walking & Randomly a Cop Pulls Up behind me & stops me . He gave me a ticket then searched my backpack, i had a half pocket nife/brass knuckles novelty item in there & he charged me for a Felony. Not gross misdemeanor a Felony.

The issuing of a citation in and of itself does not legally authorize a full search, so as the others said, there seem to be many facts absent to even weigh in on.

1. Sponsored Links